[Cs-affiliates] CS faculty search candidate visit 2/1 - Raymond Cheng

Devits, Christopher R cdevits at bu.edu
Mon Jan 30 17:18:21 EST 2017

Dear CS Faculty and Students,

This year our department will once again be interviewing candidates as part of our search for new faculty members. Our first candidate will be on campus this Wednesday, February 1 – Raymond Cheng from the University of Washington. Details about his talk and his bio are at the end of the message. The talk will be at 11:00AM in the Hariri Institute Seminar Room.

Additionally, Jim Cadden will be coordinating a student meeting with the candidate Wednesday afternoon, right now scheduled for 4:30 – 5:30. If you are interest in attending the student meeting let Jim know (jmcadden at bu.edu). Please make every effort to attend these events throughout the semester, as strong turnout and engagement at both the talks and student meetings are critical in our ability to recruit and yield strong new faculty candidates.

One final note, please remember all our candidates are told by the department that their visits are advertised only to BU CS, and are not made public. We ask that all members of the department follow that policy and not share names of candidates with colleagues in other departments or at other institutions. Please err on the side of discretion and confidentiality out of deference to our candidates.

Thanks as always for your participation in this year’s search process!

Speaker: Raymond Cheng

Title: Privacy as a Service

Abstract:
Current cloud services are vulnerable to hacks and surveillance programs that undermine user privacy and personal liberties. In this talk, I present how we can build practical systems for protecting user privacy from powerful persistent threats.

I will discuss Talek, a private publish-subscribe protocol. With Talek, application developers can send and synchronize data through the cloud without revealing any information about data contents or communication patterns of application users. The protocol is designed with provable security guarantees and practical performance, 3-4 orders of magnitude better throughput than other systems with comparable security goals. I will also discuss Radiatus, a security-focused web framework to protect web apps against external intrusions, and uProxy, a Internet censorship circumvention tool in deployment today.

Bio:
Raymond Cheng is a PhD student working with Thomas Anderson and Arvind Krishnamurthy at the University of Washington. Previously, he spent several years conducting security research in the US government. Raymond's research area is in building practical systems for security and privacy. He has published 6 papers in top systems conferences, including OSDI, Eurosys, and SOCC. In addition, Raymond has been an invited speaker at universities and research labs, such as Stanford, Microsoft Research, Google, and Palantir.