[Cs-affiliates] Reminder: CS accounts for students

Paul Stauffer paulds at bu.edu
Tue Aug 29 12:00:10 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I'm sending this reminder to ensure that all faculty & instructors
(especially the new folks) are aware of the need for students to activate a
CS account prior to being able to log into our systems.

We suggest that during the first lecture of each new semester, you mention
to your students that if they do not already have a CS account, they should
stop by the CS lab at EMA 302 at their earliest convenience and activate
one.  This process takes only a few minutes, and can be done at any time
during the lab's operating hours, starting the first day of the semester:
<http://www.bu.edu/cs/resources/laboratories/undergraduate-lab/>
If your lab sessions are held in EMA 304 next door, the students can simply
arrive 5 minutes early before the first lab session to activate their
accounts.

Note that students who are not enrolled in a CS degree program and are
simply taking a CS course are given what we call "course accounts", which
expire after the end of the semester.  Course users enrolled in another CS
course in a subsequent semester need to re-create a fresh account at the
start of each semester.  Each of these users receives an e-mail in advance
of the account expiration to remind them that they will need to activate a
fresh account, and instructing them on how to have their account converted
if they have subsequently declared a CS major or minor.  These students
should therefore already be aware of the need to activate a new account.

I hope this clarifies things for the new folks and for anyone else who may
not have had a thorough understanding of our student account procedures.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

best,
- Paul

--
Paul Stauffer <paulds at bu.edu>
IT Manager, Boston University Dept of Computer Science