[Cs-affiliates] Thank you and plans for upcoming parental leave - Fall semester

Devits, Christopher R cdevits at bu.edu
Wed Aug 23 15:10:41 EDT 2017

Dear CS Faculty and Staff,

As many of you already know, I am happy to announce that my wife and I are expecting our first child, due on September 23. I want to first say thank you to everyone for the surprise cake, card, and very generous gifts today. I don’t have the words to express how kind and heartwarming it was, so let me just say thank you to everyone.

I also wanted to write and let everyone know the staffing plans for the Fall semester, as I’ll physically be out of the office for much of it.

Assuming our soon-to-be son, Jack, is on time (big assumption…), I will be out of the office and completely off line for Sept. 25 through October 16, adjusting to our new normal. Praying that all goes well, and everybody is healthy and happy, I hope to be available remotely as much as possible on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays each week through December 22. I’m going to try and be in the office at least every Wednesday starting Oct. 18, as I’ll still be teaching Wednesdays this Fall.

E-mail will remain the best way to contact me in most cases.  My BU office phone will forward to me, so you're also welcome to call me (617-353-6413) if you want to chat about anything directly. I will also be on Slack. We have a department Slack account the staff and some faculty are already utilizing. Email support at cs.bu.edu<mailto:support at cs.bu.edu> if you’re interested in getting set up on our Slack. It’s great for quick questions and communication.

I’ll also make frequent use of Skype and Google Hangouts, so if you want to video chat, let me know and I'm happy to arrange that as well. And of course, Cristhel, Christian, Jennifer, and Jacob will still be on site to render hands-on assistance.

Thank you all once again, and we’re looking forward to introducing our newest terrier to the BU family!