[Cs-affiliates] unplanned CS infrastructure outage Wed evening

Paul Stauffer paulds at bu.edu
Wed Apr 26 20:52:04 EDT 2017

Hi all,

As many of you will have noticed, we had a major service outage this
evening, from approximately 5:30pm until just before 8:00pm.  The root cause
appears to have been an error on one of IS&T's routers, which turned what
should have been a routine maintenance procedure on our switches into a
total network outage for our entire data center.

A number of things went wrong during this event that delayed the resumption
of service, both with IS&T's infrastructure, and with our own disaster
response plans.  Some of those things have already been corrected to avoid
future issues, and I will be following up on several more things in the days
ahead.

At this time we believe everything to be working properly again.  If you are
aware of any systems or services that are still offline, please contact
support at cs.bu.edu and let us know.

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this event has caused.  Rest
assured, we will do everything possible to avoid a repeat.

regards,
- Paul

--
Paul Stauffer <paulds at bu.edu>