[Busec] Fwd: Lattice course at MIT

Leonid Reyzin reyzin at cs.bu.edu
Tue Sep 5 09:08:34 EDT 2017

Relevant course at MIT:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Vinod Vaikuntanathan <vinod.nathan at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 11:10 PM
Subject: Lattice course at MIT

6.876J ADVANCED TOPICS IN CRYPTOGRAPHY: LATTICES IN COMPUTER SCIENCE
(3-0-9, H level)
Instructor: Vinod Vaikuntanathan
When: T 10-12:30 pm (first lecture: Tue 9/12)
Where: 4-237

PREREQUISITES: 6.046 and basic linear algebra.
Class website: http://people.csail.mit.edu/vinodv/6876-Fall2017/index.html

Integer Lattices are a formidable tool in mathematics and computer science,
with many applications in (algebraic) number theory, coding theory,
combinatorial optimization and cryptography. Come to 6.876 to learn about
lattice algorithms, the complexity theory of lattice problems, and their
applications in cryptography.

A sample of topics we will cover include:

1) Lattice Algorithms, starting from Gauss through LLL and AKS and all the
way to brand new developments.

2) Complexity of Lattice Problems: Ajtai, Micciancio, Khot and Regev's
NP-hardness (of approximation) results and recent SETH-hardness results
(from FOCS'17).

3) Cryptography: Starting from Ajtai’s worst-case to average-case
reduction, we will see how to build one-way functions, public-key
encryption, homomorphic encryption and more.

Bonus feature this year: We will experiment with regular optional open
problem sessions with Professor Erik Demaine.

GRADING: The grade will be based on 2-3 problem sets and a final project.