[Busec] Seminar Thursday Oct 12 (**unusual time**): Collision Resistant Hashing for Paranoids: Dealing with Multiple Collisions

Yilei Chen chenyl at bu.edu
Tue Oct 10 11:53:16 EDT 2017

Title: Collision Resistant Hashing for Paranoids: Dealing with Multiple
Collisions
Speaker: Ilan Komargodski (Cornell Tech)
Thursday Oct 12, 2017, **11 am - 12 pm. **
BU Hariri Institute Seminar room. 111 Cummington St, Boston MA 02215.
Followed by lunch at BUsec lounge.

Abstract:
A collision resistant hash (CRH) function is one that compresses its input
yet it is hard to find a collision, i.e. a x_1 != x_2 s.t. h(x_1) = h(x_2).
Collision resistant hash functions are one of the more useful cryptographic
primitives both in theory and in practice and two prominent applications
are in signature schemes and succinct zero-knowledge arguments. We consider
a relaxation of the above requirement that we call Multi-CRH, a function
where it is hard to find x_1, x_2,...,x_k which are all distinct, yet
h(x_1) = h(x_2) =  ... = h(x_k). We show that in major applications of CRH
functions it is possible to replace them by the weaker notion of an MCRH,
albeit at some price. On the other hand we show black-box separation
results from standard CRH and a hierarchy of such Multi-CRHs.

Based on joint work with Moni Naor and Eylon Yogev.
https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/486