[Busec] Seminar Wednesday Oct 11: Threshold Cryptosystems From Threshold Fully Homomorphic Encryption

Yilei Chen chenyl at bu.edu
Tue Oct 10 11:18:03 EDT 2017

Title: Threshold Cryptosystems From Threshold Fully Homomorphic Encryption
Speaker: Sam Kim (Stanford)
Wednesday Oct 11, 2017, 10 am - 11 am.
BU Hariri Institute Seminar room. 111 Cummington St, Boston MA 02215.
Followed by lunch at BUsec lounge.

Abstract: We develop a general approach to adding a threshold functionality
to a large class of (non-threshold) cryptographic schemes. A threshold
functionality enables a secret key to be split into a number of shares, so
that only a threshold of parties can use the key, without reconstructing
the key. We begin by constructing a threshold fully-homomorphic encryption
scheme (TFHE) from the learning with errors (LWE) problem. We next
introduce a new concept, called a universal thresholdizer, from which many
threshold systems are possible. We show how to construct a universal
thresholdizer from our TFHE. A universal thresholdizer can be used to add
threshold functionality to many systems, such as CCA-secure public key
encryption (PKE), signature schemes, pseudorandom functions, and others
primitives. In particular, by applying this paradigm to a (non-threshold)
lattice signature system, we obtain the first single-round threshold
signature scheme from LWE.

Joint work with Dan Boneh, Rosario Gennaro, Steven Goldfeder, Aayush Jain,
Peter M. R. Rasmussen and Amit Sahai
https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/956