[Busec] Fwd: Tomorrow at Hariri: Cyber Alliance Speaker Series featuring Ellen Goodman (Rutgers)

Ran Canetti canetti at bu.edu
Tue Nov 14 13:49:33 EST 2017

Please join the Hariri Institute for Computing and BU Cyber Alliance
*tomorrow, November 15, 2017*, for a Wednesday at Hariri talk, to be given
by Ellen Goodman, a professor of law at Rutgers University.

*/Algorithmic Transparency for the Smart City
/**Ellen P. Goodman
*Professor of Law, Rutgers University

3:00 PM – 4:30 PM on Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Refreshments & networking at 2:45 PM
Hariri Institute for Computing
111 Cummington Mall, Room 180

Abstract: Emerging across many disciplines are questions about
algorithmic ethics – about the values
embedded in artificial intelligence and big data analytics that
increasingly replace human decisionmaking.
In the public sector, the opacity of algorithmic decision-making is
particularly problematic both
because governmental decisions may be especially weighty, and because
democratically-elected
governments bear special duties of accountability. My co-author Bob
Braunei and I set out to test the
limits of transparency around governmental deployment of big data
analytics, focusing our
investigation on local and state government use of predictive
algorithms. We conclude that the use of
these programs, including the underlying models and implementation, are
not sufficiently transparent.
We propose a number of reforms to improve public access to, and
understanding of, algorithmic
governance. Although it would require a multi-stakeholder process to
develop best practices for record
generation and disclosure, we present what we believe are eight
principal types of information that
such records should ideally contain.

Bio: Ellen P. Goodman specializes in information policy law: free speech,
media policy, privacy, data ethics, advertising, and digital platform power.
She is co-director and co-founder of the Rutgers Institute for Information
Policy & Law and contributes to The Guardian and Slate. Her research on
algorithmic ethics in government has led to foundation consultations and
grants on increasing public access to data. Professor Goodman received
a Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation Grant to produce news gathering law
tools for digital journalists and Ford Foundation grants for work on public
media policy

*/More Information
<https://www.bu.edu/hic/2017/11/14/bu-cyber-alliance-hosts-1115-seminar-featuring-ellen-goodman-rutgers/>/*