[Busec] Seminar On practical Security

Ari Trachtenberg trachten at bu.edu
Tue May 23 13:14:32 EDT 2017

DEA12 HAC1<E12$,

We are planning to restart our seventh annual summer weekly seminar series on
the practical elements of security, with the generous support
of the BU RISCS center (https://www.bu.edu/riscs/).  Last year, we had
an exciting array of presentations from academia and industry (https://algorithmics.bu.edu/sos/)
including, for example:

  * Internet of Things:  hospitals, stupid homes, and phone with stage fright
  * Denial of Service:  cascading wifi and messing with the network time protocol
  * Crypto:  ransomware protections, Border Gateway Protocol path-end validation

We will be meeting on Mondays from noon-1pm in PHO 339 starting on June 5 (2017),
and our meeting will be accompanied by a light lunch.

An RSVP is appreciated (but not necessary) if you are interested in attending the seminar.
An idea for a presentation and date is even more appreciated (but even less necessary yet).
Dissemination to others you think might find this interesting is most appreciated (and
    necessary - there will be an exam.  Please disseminate "safely".).

Best,
	-Ari, on behalf of the disorganization committee

P.S.  For new participants, the "price" of admission is a willingness,
in principle, to make one short presentation on security over the summer.
For ideas on possible talks, please ask participating faculty, who will be introduced
on the first day.

—
Prof. Ari Trachtenberg
Electrical and Computer Engineering