[Busec] Monday at 11: Trinabh Gupta

Leonid Reyzin reyzin at cs.bu.edu
Sat Mar 25 17:06:04 EDT 2017

*Presenter: *Trinabh Gupta

*Seminar Date + time: *Monday March 27, 11:00AM

*Location: *Hariri Institute Seminar Room

*Title: *Toward practical and private online services

*Abstract: *The designs of today's common online services (social networks,
media streaming, messaging, email, etc.) are in conflict with privacy.
Indeed, there have been many incidents (hacks, accidental disclosures,
etc.) where private information has leaked.

My research aims to build systems that provide strong privacy guarantees
and are practical (that is, have functionality and costs comparable to that
of the status quo). In the talk, I will describe the challenges in building
such systems and how I address them. As an example, Popcorn is a
Netflix-like media delivery system that provably hides (even from the
content distributor) which movie a user is watching, is otherwise
consistent with the prevailing commercial regime (copyrights, etc.), and
achieves plausibly deployable performance (the per-request dollar cost is
3.87 times that of a non-private system).

*Bio: *Trinabh Gupta is a PhD candidate at The University of Texas at
Austin. He is also a visiting academic in NYU's systems group. His research
interests are in systems, security, and privacy, and he has worked on
privacy-preserving online services, and failure detection in distributed
systems. His advisors are Lorenzo Alvisi and Michael Walfish. Prior to
being a PhD student he was a computer science undergraduate at Indian
Institute of Technology Delhi (IITD).