[Busec] This Thursday 10:30-12 @ Hariri: Alley Stoughton on Mechanizing Proofs of Security of Cryptographic Protocols

Ran Canetti canetti at bu.edu
Sun Mar 12 17:56:58 EDT 2017

BUSec talk this Thursday, March 16, 10:30-12pm, Hariri Seminar room (MCS
180):

(Lunch to be served after the talk)

Mechanizing the Proof of Adaptive, Information-theoretic Security of
Cryptographic Protocols in the Random Oracle Model

Alley Stoughton, BU

Abstract:
We report on our research on proving the security of multi-party
cryptographic protocols using the EasyCrypt proof assistant. We work in
the computational model using the sequence of games approach, and define
honest-but-curious (semi-honest) security using a variation of the
real/ideal paradigm in which, for each protocol party, an adversary
chooses protocol inputs in an attempt to distinguish the party's real
and ideal games. Our proofs are information-theoretic, instead of being
based on computational assumptions. We employ oracles (e.g., random
oracles for hashing) whose encapsulated states depend on
dynamically-made, random choices. By limiting an adversary's oracle use,
one may obtain concrete upper bounds on the distances between a party's
real and ideal games. Furthermore, our proofs work for adaptive
adversaries, ones that, when choosing the value of a protocol input, may
condition this choice on their current protocol view and oracle
knowledge. We provide an analysis in EasyCrypt of a three party private
count retrieval protocol. Our proof reduces the security of the protocol
to the unpredictability of the random oracle on unqueried inputs. We
emphasize the lessons learned from completing this proof.

Joint work with Mayank Varia.