[Busec] Fwd: ECE Seminar Speaker Bernhard Rinner, Aug. 3 at 2 pm in PHO 339

Jason Hennessey henn at bu.edu
Fri Jul 14 19:02:00 EDT 2017

Thought folks might be interested.
Jason

Aug. 3, 2017 (Thurs.), 2:00 pm
8 St. Mary’s St., PHO 339
Faculty host: Janusz Konrad
Light refreshments available at 1:45 pm.
View all upcoming events<http://www.bu.edu/eng/departments/ece/events/>

*Abstract*

Installed on public places, integrated in cellphones or deployed in the
Internet of Things – cameras have become ubiquitous, and they capture
highly sensitive information about our everyday life. Advanced analytics
and steadily increasing networking pose soaring risks to our privacy.

In this talk I will give an overview of privacy challenges in visual
data. I will then present selected key achievements from our ten years’
research in privacy-aware cameras. A key approach for privacy protection
is to deteriorate the image quality of selected areas or entire frames.
We have developed “cartooning” as an onboard protection method which
requires low computational resources and keeps the utility of the
protected video high. In another research thread we have investigated
adaptive privacy filters which modify the strength of the deterioration
based on the captured scenes. I will conclude the talk by demonstrating
our TrustEYE, an embedded smart camera which performs onboard privacy
filtering and secures all delivered data with dedicated hardware.

*Bio*

Bernhard Rinner is professor at the Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt,
Austria where he is heading the Pervasive Computing group. He is deputy
head of the Institute of Networked and Embedded Systems and served as
vice dean of the Faculty of Technical Sciences from 2008-2011. Before
joining Klagenfurt he was with Graz University of Technology and held
research positions at the Department of Computer Sciences at the
University of Texas at Austin in 1995 and 1998/99.

His current research interests include embedded computing, sensor
networks and pervasive computing. Bernhard Rinner has been co-founder
and general chair of the ACM/IEEE International Conference on
Distributed Smart Cameras and has served as chief editor of a special
issue on this topic in The Proceedings of the IEEE. Currently, he is
Associate Editor for Ad Hoc Networks Journal and EURASIP Journal on
Embedded Systems. Together with partners from four European
universities, he has jointly initiated the Erasmus Mundus Joint
Doctorate Program on Interactive and Cognitive Environments (ICE). He is
member of IEEE and IFIP and member of the board of the Austrian Science
Fund.