[Busec] WhatsApp default settings vulnerability

Sarah Scheffler sscheff at bu.edu
Fri Jan 13 17:32:57 EST 2017

I mean, calling it a vulnerability definitely makes it sound worse than it
is, but I also think that a lot of people basically assume that as long as
they're using WhatsApp, nothing they send will be read by anyone other than
who they're sending it to.  I think calling this a vulnerability in the
news is actually good, as it brings public awareness of the issue, and now
people know whether or not they want to check the box, or look at other
settings.  Perhaps my email could have been named with less hype, but to be
honest this *is* a vulnerability as far as most users' usage is concerned,
and I think it's fine to treat it as such.  At the very least, this will
hopefully make people think "hey, there are things that are not
automatically solved by me using WhatsApp."  Which is obvious to people
used to thinking about cryptography, but not to the average person, who's
basically been showered with advice that WhatsApp will solve all of their
privacy problems.

Also, I think a much better thing would have been for WhatsApp to start
with Signal's behavior, with a little blurb that says "if you don't want to
see these messages anymore, check this box."  I think opting out, in
general, is better than opting in.  That way, if people are going to click
through, they can check the box and it's the same end result.  And if
they're not going to click through, then we helped some people have a
little more security at the cost of verifying a key change once every month
or so (or whatever the rate of their friends getting new phones is).

But it's fair, causing a panic about a not-really-vulnerability is only
going to make it worse when a *real* vulnerability comes along.  So I don't
know.  Information is difficult.

Cheers!
Sarah

PS: If anyone wants to participate in the MIT Mystery Hunt this weekend and
doesn't have a team, I have a team of people from Harvey Mudd College and
we're always looking for new team members; send me an email if you want
into our slack room.