[Busec] Fwd: announcement of GREPSEC III: graduate student workshop for women and underrepresented groups

Sharon Goldberg sharon.goldbe at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 13:10:18 EST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Susan Landau* <susan.landau at privacyink.org>
Date: Thursday, February 2, 2017
Subject: announcement of GREPSEC III: graduate student workshop for women
and underrepresented groups

Security research is a great field that has not attracted women and
minorities in any great numbers, despite the wonderful opportunities
available.  We'd like to change that — and so does the US National Science
Foundation <https://www.nsf.gov/>, VISA Research <http://research.visa.com/>,
USC's Information Sciences Institute <http://www.isi.edu/home>, and IEEE
Cybersecurity Initiative <http://cybersecurity.ieee.org/>.  We're pleased
to announce GREPSEC, a computer security workshop for women and
underrepresented groups.  Come and learn about why great minds are drawn to
security.

GREPSEC is a day-and-a-half-long workshop scheduled for May 20-21, 2015 in
San Jose, occurring just prior to the annual IEEE Symposium on Security and
Privacy <http://www.ieee-security.org/TC/SP2017/>. The workshop will
consist of a number of talks by leading academic and industry researchers
in computer security. (A list of speakers may be found at:
http://www.ieee-security.org/grepsec/schedule.html.) The workshop will
include a number of research talks as well as panels looking at research
from various perspectives including information assurance from a hardware
and software point of view, picking good research problems, privacy
protections from varying technical perspectives. This year we'll feature a
hands-on security investigation. There will be breaks to afford students
time to meet informally with the speakers.

Funding for this meeting has been provided by the US National Science
Foundation <https://www.nsf.gov/>, and grants from VISA Research
<http://research.visa.com/>, USC's Information Sciences Institute
<http://www.isi.edu/home>, and IEEE Cybersecurity Initiative
<http://cybersecurity.ieee.org/>. Travel funding will be available for
graduate students at US institutions. A small amount of funding exists for
students at foreign institutions. If space permits, we may admit some
advanced undergraduates.

Application information can be found at: http://www.ieee-security.org/
grepsec/apply.html. Applications are due March 2. Applicants will be
informed by March 31 whether they have been admitted. Workshop participants
are encouraged to attend the IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy; the
opening reception is late afternoon on May 21. We encourage you to also
apply for student travel grants to the IEEE symposium.

If you have questions about the workshop, please direct them to one of
Susan, Hilarie, or Terry (susan.landau at privacyink.org
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','susan.landau at privacyink.org');>,
hilarie at purplestreak.com
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','hilarie at purplestreak.com');>, tbenzel at isi.edu
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','tbenzel at isi.edu');>). We encourage all
eligible students to apply.

Best,

Susan (Terry Benzel, Susan Landau, and Hilarie Orman, GREPSEC organizers)

--

Susan Landau

Professor of Cybersecurity Policy

Department of Social Science and Policy Studies
<https://www.wpi.edu/academics/ssps.html>
Worcester Polytechnic Institute <https://www.wpi.edu/>
https://privacyink.org

--