[Busec] Fwd: Summer Cryptology Instructor Opportunity - Johns Hopkins CTY

Ran Canetti canetti at bu.edu
Thu Apr 6 22:45:09 EDT 2017

In case anyone is interested...

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Summer Cryptology Instructor Opportunity - Johns Hopkins CTY
Date: 	Tue, 4 Apr 2017 19:45:15 +0000
From: 	Frannie Worek <fworek at jhu.edu>
To: 	canetti at bu.edu <canetti at bu.edu>

Dear Dr. Canetti,

I hope this message finds you well. I work for Johns Hopkins
University’s Center for Talented Youth, and I’m writing because we are
currently looking for instructors for the summer to teach a cryptology
course to mathematically talented middle and high school students. Given
your research interests include cryptography, I wanted to ask if you
would be able to pass along this job announcement to any graduate
students or faculty you think might be interested. We also have an
additional teaching assistant opening for our advanced cryptology
course, which also may be of interest to graduate or undergraduate students.

Our summer courses are three weeks long, making it easy for instructors
to fit in teaching for us with their summer research or conference
commitments. We have openings in Los Angeles and upstate New York for
cryptology instructors, with room and board provided on campus for
instructors.

I appreciate you taking the time to forward the information below to
anyone you think may be interested in this instructor position. I can
also provide more information about the available teaching assistant
position (located in Pennsylvania with room & board provided) if you
would like that information as well. Thank you for your assistance.

Kind regards,

Frannie Worek

Frannie Worek

Assistant Program Manager, Summer Academic Programs

Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth

cty.jhu.edu/summer <http://cty.jhu.edu/summer>__

cid:A1B10892-EA76-48E5-BA40-7BFD5019FA24

*Summer Cryptology Instructor Opportunities*

**

The Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth (CTY) is seeking
applicants interested in summer employment as a *Cryptology Instructor*.
Positions are available in *Saratoga Springs, NY (Skidmore College)
*and*Los Angeles, CA (Loyola Marymount University)*. CTY offers
challenging summer academic programs for middle and high school students
from across the country and around the world. More information regarding
our summer programs can be found at www.cty.jhu.edu/summer
<http://www.cty.jhu.edu/summer>.

*Why teach for CTY?*

  * share your passion for mathematics with highly motivated and
    talented students
  * be a part of an intellectual community
  * teach in a supportive, collegial environment
  * work alongside dedicated educators from around the world
  * limited class size (15 students), plus an instructor and
    assistant for each class, ensures a low student-teacher ratio
  * competitive salary plus room and board

*Cryptology*

In this math course, students begin their journey with an exploration of
many early techniques for creating secret writing, such as cipher
wheels, the Caesar shift, monoalphabetic substitution, and the Vigenère
cipher. They move on to learn about modern techniques including RSA
public key cryptography. Delving deeper into modern techniques, students
explore how data transmitted by computer can be secured with digital
encryption.

*Salary*

First-year CTY instructor salary ranges from $4800 to $6000 for two
three-week sessions, plus room and board on campus.

*Location and dates *(instructors can work one or both sessions)

  * *Saratoga Springs, NY*(Skidmore College) - Session 1 (June 22 - July
    15, 2017)
  * *Los Angeles, CA *(Loyola Marymount University) - Session 1 (June 22
    - July 15, 2017) and Session 2 (July 15 – August 5, 2017).

*More Information:*

·Cryptology course description and sample syllabi:
http://cty.jhu.edu/summer/grades7-12/intensive/catalog/math.html#code
<http://cty.jhu.edu/summer/grades7-12/intensive/catalog/math.html%23code>

·Instructor job responsibilities:
http://cty.jhu.edu/jobs/summer/positions/residential/instructor.html

*To apply:*

Please fill out an application at*: *www.cty.jhu.edu/jobs/summer
<http://www.cty.jhu.edu/jobs/summer>

Please email inquiries directly to Frannie Worek at fworek at jhu.edu
<mailto:fworek at jhu.edu>.

/Johns Hopkins University is an equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual
orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status,
veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. The
university promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled
persons, and veterans./