[Busec] Potential talk of interest, Friday Nov 4

Ran Canetti canetti at bu.edu
Wed Oct 26 23:01:47 EDT 2016

Dear All: this talk is part of our current efforts to connect with the
law school on topics related to modern information systems and their
intricate and intimate influence on our personal, societal and political
lives.
Should be an interesting thought provoker.

----------------------------------

Frank Pasquale
Professor of Law, Universty of Maryland

Friday, November 4, 2016
11 am - 12:30 pm
Hariri Institute for Computing
111 Cummington Mall, Room 180

Hosted in collaboration with the Center for Reliable Information
Systems & Cyber Security (RISCS) and BU/MIT Technology &
Cyberlaw Clinic

Abstract
Scholars like Cathy O’Neil (Weapons of Math Destruction) and Sharona
Hoffman (Big Bad Data) have described pervasive inaccuracy or
unfairness in important data and models used in contexts ranging from
education to finance to health care. Discovering problems in big data
(or decision models based on it) should not be a burden we expect
individuals to solve on their own. Very few of us have the time to root
through the thousands of databases that may be affecting our lives.
Rather, this is something that regulators should be doing, reviewing the
files of both large firms and data brokers to find suspect data and to
demand review of the sources of data). This talk will focus on Chapters
2 and 5 of my book, The Black Box Society, which proposes a number of
principles to guide future data regulation in the United States.

About the Speaker
Frank Pasquale is a Professor of Law at the University of Maryland.
Pasquale’s research addresses the challenges posed to information law
by rapidly changing technology, particularly in the health care, internet,
and finance industries. He is a member of the NSF-funded Council for
Big Data, Ethics, and Society, and an Affiliate Fellow of Yale Law School’s
Information Society Project. He frequently presents on the ethical, legal,
and social implications of information technology for attorneys,
physicians, and other health professionals. His book, The Black Box
Society: The Secret Algorithms that Control Money and Information
(Harvard University Press, 2015), develops a social theory of
reputation, search, and finance.