[Busec] busec today: Amir Houmansadr (10am)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Wed Nov 16 09:33:50 EST 2016

Reminder for our busec seminars today. Amir Houmansadr from UMass Amherst
will talk about evading censorship.

Next week is off for Thanksgiving, but on Monday from 12:45-2pm, I'll be
giving an informal talk on my new paper on Internet surveillance at BU's
Law school. Details on that shortly.

Fighting Against Internet Censorship with Decoy Routing
Speaker: Amir Houmansadr, UMass Amherst
Wednesday October 16, 10am
Hariri Institute, 111 Cummington St Boston MA

Abstract:

The Internet poses serious threats to repressive regimes, totalitarian
governments, and corrupt corporations by enabling the free circulation
of information, thoughts, and ideas. Consequently, various
nation-states rigorously monitor and restrict their citizens' access
to the Internet, an action known as Internet censorship. My talk will
begin with a brief introduction on the main censorship techniques used
by real-world censors. I will then introduce a recently proposed
approach to censorship circumvention, called decoy routing. Unlike
traditional circumvention technologies, like Tor and VPN, that are
installed at the edges of the Internet, e.g., on computer servers,
decoy routing is installed at the middle of the Internet, i.e., on
Internet routers. I will introduce a fundamental attack against decoy
routing, and will present a game theoretic analysis on the feasibility
of that attack.