[Busec] Fwd: Fwd: Yuval Ishai: TOC Colloquium tomorrow

Ran Canetti canetti at bu.edu
Mon Nov 7 21:32:45 EST 2016

FYI. Well worth attending!

Ran

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Vinod Vaikuntanathan* <vinodv at mit.edu <mailto:vinodv at mit.edu>>
Date: Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 10:18 AM
Subject: Yuval Ishai: TOC Colloquium tomorrow
To: toc-faculty at lists.csail.mit.edu
<mailto:toc-faculty at lists.csail.mit.edu>, Debbie Lehto
<dlehto at csail.mit.edu <mailto:dlehto at csail.mit.edu>>

Hi all,

Our next colloquium speaker is Yuval Ishai from Technion. Yuval will
talk about a breakthrough result which won the best paper award at
Crypto 2016. (Abstract below.)

Yuval's work spans cryptography and complexity (e.g. locally decodable
codes, communication complexity and private information retrieval).

Let me (and Debbie) know if you can join for dinner and/or want to meet
with him. Yuval is visiting us tomorrow, Thursday and Friday.

Best,

Vinod

      Yuval Ishai: Succinct Secure Computation from DDH

Abstract:

Fully homomorphic encryption (FHE) is a powerful cryptographic tool that
can be used to minimize the communication complexity of secure
computation protocols. However, known FHE schemes rely on a relatively
narrow set of assumptions and algebraic structures that are all related
to lattices.

We present a new technique for succinct secure computation that replaces
FHE by ''homomorphic secret sharing'' and can be based on
discrete-log-type assumptions. More concretely, under the Decisional
Diffie-Hellman (DDH) assumption, we construct a 2-out-of-2 secret
sharing scheme that supports a compact evaluation of branching programs
on the shares.

Our technique yields a number of new DDH-based applications, including:

- A secure 2-party protocol for evaluating branching programs or NC1
circuits, where the communication complexity is linear in the input and
output size and only the time complexity grows with the branching
program or circuit size.

- A secure 2-party protocol for evaluating any leveled boolean circuit
of size S with communication complexity O(S/logS).

- A secure k-party protocol for evaluating general circuits using only
two rounds of interaction given a public-key infrastructure.

Joint work with Elette Boyle and Niv Gilboa