[Busec] [CSET '16] Call for papers: 9th Usenix Workshop on Cyber Security Experimentation and Test (CSET) 2016

Manuel Egele megele at bu.edu
Fri Mar 25 13:46:09 EDT 2016

The CSET workshop invites submissions on cyber security evaluation,
experimentation, measurement, metrics, data, simulations, and
testbeds.

The science of cyber security poses significant challenges. For
example, experiments must recreate relevant, realistic features in
order to be meaningful, yet identifying those features and modeling
them is very difficult.  Repeatability and measurement accuracy are
essential in any scientific experiment, yet hard to achieve in
practice. Few security-relevant datasets are publicly available for
research use and little is understood about what "good datasets" look
like. Finally, cyber security experiments carry significant risks if
not properly contained and controlled, yet often require some degree
of interaction with the larger world in order to be useful.

Meeting these challenges requires transformational advances, including
understanding the relationship between scientific method and cyber
security evaluation, advancing capabilities of underlying experimental
infrastructure, and improving data usability.

Topics of interest include but are not limited to:
* Science of cyber security: e.g., experiences with and discussions of
  experimental methodologies; experiment design and conduct addressing
  cyber security challenges.
* Measurement and metrics: e.g., what are useful or valid metrics,
  test cases, and benchmarks? How do we know? How does measurement
  interact with (or interfere with) evaluation?.
* Testbeds and experimental infrastructure: e.g., tools for improving
  speed and fidelity of testbed configuration; sensors for robust data
  collection with minimal testbed artifacts; support for
  interconnected non-IT systems such as telecommunications or
  industrial control.
* Simulations and emulations: e.g., what makes good ones? How do they
  scale (up or down)?
* Data sets: e.g., what makes good data sets? How do we know? How do
  we compare data sets? How do we collect new ones or generate
  derived ones? How do they hold up over time?
* Ethics of cyber security research: e.g., experiences balancing
  stakeholder considerations; frameworks for evaluating the ethics of
  cyber security experiments.

CSET '16 will be co-located with the 25th USENIX Security Symposium
(USENIX Security '16) and take place on Monday, August 8, 2016.

Important Dates:
* Submissions due: Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 11:59 pm PDT (no extensions)
* Notification to authors: Tuesday, June 14, 2016
* Final papers due: Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Workshop website:
https://www.usenix.org/conference/cset16/