[Busec] NEU Security Seminar: Wed. July 6th, 2pm, Heng Yin

Manuel Egele megele at bu.edu
Tue Jul 5 13:57:26 EDT 2016

Hi,

tomorrow Professor Heng Yin from Syracuse University will give the
following seminar over at Northeastern.

It'll be a great opportunity to hear about the security research other
groups are doing.

lmk if you're interested.

cheers,
--manuel

Title: A Semantics-Centric Approach to Fight Android Malware

Abstract:

The number of new Android malware instances has grown exponentially in
recent years. McAfee reports that 2.47 million new mobile malware
samples were collected in 2013, which represents a 197% increase over
2012. Greater and greater amounts of manual effort are required to
analyze the increasing number of new malware instances. This has led to
a strong interest in developing methods to automate the malware analysis
process. In this talk, I will present a series of semantics-centric
techniques to fight Android malware. First of all, we need a powerful
analysis framework to quickly understand the inner-working of a given
malware sample. To this end, we developed a virtualization-based
analysis framework called DroidScope, which can seamlessly reconstruct
both OS and Java level semantic views to provide a holistic view of a
malware attack. Moreover, we need to automatically classify malware
samples by their functionalities and behaviors and discover zero-day
malware. We proposed a new semantics-based technique for malware
classification, by capturing the semantics-level behavior of an app in
form of ``Weighted Contextual API Dependency Graphs". Then by computing
the similarity between these graphs, we can accurately and reliably
detect malware variants and zero-day malware.  Furthermore, we believe
that malware detection can be more effective by getting end users into
the loop. In particular, we developed a new technique that can
automatically generate human-readable descriptions of a given app, such
that any unexpected descriptions will cause suspicions and flagged by
end users. To encourage wide adoption and follow-up research, these
research products are available in form of source code release and/or
web services.

Bio:

Heng Yin is an Associate Professor in the department of Electrical
Engineering and Computer Science at Syracuse University. His research
interests mainly lie in computer security. In particular, he is
interested in applying program analysis techniques and virtualization
techniques to improve software and system security and defeat malware
attacks. He earned his PhD degree in Computer Science from the College
of William and Mary in July 2009. He was a member in BitBlaze Binary
Analysis Research Group at UC Berkeley before joining Syracuse
University. In 2011, he received NSF Career award. His publications
frequently appear in top-notch conferences and journals such as ACM
Conference on Computer and Communication Security (CCS), USENIX Security
Symposium, ISOC Network and Distributed System Security Symposium
(NDSS), etc. His research is supported by National Science Foundation,
DARPA, Air Force Research Lab, and Department of Energy.