[Busec] Omer Paneth (Wed 9.45am), and Alberto Dianotti (Tues 11am)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Fri Feb 26 16:46:45 EST 2016

Hi everyone,

Join us for the BUsec seminar next Wednesday at 9:45am. Our own Omer Paneth
will present his PhD proposal on the cryptographic hardness of finding Nash
Equilibria.   Followed by lunch in the lab.

Also, Alberto Dianotti from CAIDA is in town on Tuesday, and so he'll be
speaking about a BGP measurement platform at an extra seminar on Tuesday at
11am (joint with NRG).

After next week, we'll take a few weeks off, and then come back on March 23
with a series of exciting network security talks from Cristina Nita-Rotaru
(NEU), Zakir Durumeric (UMich), Matt Green (JHU) and Bryan Ford (EPFL).

- Sharon

******
Title: On the Cryptographic Hardness of Finding a Nash Equilibrium
[Thesis Proposal]
Speaker: Omer Paneth (BU)
Room: MCS148 at 111 Cummington St, Boston MA 02215
Time: Wednesday March 2, 2015, 9:45AM

We prove that finding a Nash equilibrium of a game is hard, assuming the
existence of indistinguishability obfuscation and injective one-way
functions with sub-exponential hardness. We do so by showing how these
cryptographic primitives give rise to a hard computational problem that
lies in the complexity class PPAD, for which finding Nash equilibrium is
known to be complete.

Previous proposals for basing PPAD-hardness on program obfuscation
considered a strong "virtual black-box" notion that is subject to severe
limitations and is unlikely to be realizable for the programs in question.
In contrast, for indistinguishability obfuscation no such limitations are
known, and recently, several candidate constructions of
indistinguishability obfuscation were suggested based on different hardness
assumptions on multilinear maps.

Our result provides further evidence of the intractability of finding a
Nash equilibrium, one that is extrinsic to the evidence presented so far.

Joint work with Nir Bitansky and Alon Rosen

***
BGPStream:
A framework for the historical analysis and real-time monitoring of BGP data
[NRG/busec seminar]
Speaker: Alberto Dainotti (CAIDA).
Tuesday, March 1, 2016, 11am
MCS148

I will present the design and implementation of BGPStream, an open-source
software framework (available at bgpstream.caida.org) for the analysis of
historical and live Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) measurement data.
Although BGP is a crucial operational component of the Internet
infrastructure, and is the subject of fundamental research (in the areas of
performance, security, topology, protocols, economy, ...), there is no
standard and easy way of processing large amounts of BGP measurement data.

BGPStream fills this gap by making available a set of API and tools for
processing large amounts of live and historical data thus supporting
investigation of specific events, rapid prototyping, and building complex
tools and efficient large-scale monitoring applications (e.g., detection of
connectivity disruptions or BGP hijacking attacks). I will describe the
design choices and challenges in the development of BGPStream. I will
present how the components of the framework can be used in different
applicative scenarios, and I will describe the development and deployment
of complex services for global Internet monitoring that we built on top of
it.