[Busec] Fwd: winter school on Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Technologies in Shanghai, China, Jan 15- 17, 2017

Ran Canetti canetti at bu.edu
Sat Dec 31 00:06:54 EST 2016

FYI - potentially of interest

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	winter school on Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Technologies in
Shanghai, China, Jan 15- 17, 2017
Date: 	Wed, 28 Dec 2016 00:27:50 -0500
From: 	Hong-Sheng Zhou <hongsheng.zhou at gmail.com>
To: 	canetti at bu.edu
CC: 	Jonathan Katz <jkatz at cs.umd.edu>, GU Dawu <dwgu at sjtu.edu.cn>,
Hong-sheng Zhou <hszhou at vcu.edu>

Hi Ran

Happy new year!

Jon, Dawu and I are organizing a blockchain winter school in Shanghai,
China,  January 15-17, 2017.
Could you please distribute the following information about the winter
school to your students/ friends?

thanks,
HS

Cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin have proven to be a phenomenal success.
The underlying blockchain techniques hold a huge promise to change the
future of financial transactions, and even our way of computation and
collaboration. Both development community and research community have
recently made significant progresses. But at the same time, we are
facing many challenges.

We are organizing a winter school on Cryptocurrency and Blockchain
Technologies in Shanghai, China, Jan 15- 17, 2017.  This winter school
aims to bring together the communities working on cryptocurrency and
blockchain technologies. The target audience is anyone (students,
researchers, developers, professionals) with an interest in cryptography
and security.

The lectures in the school will be given by world leading researchers in
this area. All lectures will be self-contained, and we don’t assume the
participants to have cryptography background.

In this winter school, we will study a comprehensive set of topics about
blockchain technologies, including: Bitcoin basics; Analysis of
blockchain consensus; Ethereum and smart contracts; Alternative
approaches to mining and consensus; Scalability; Anonymity. The winter
school will include a panel — many important problems and hot topics
will be discussed by leading researchers. We will also include a student
presentation session, a demo session and a poster session so that
students, developers, and junior researchers, can share their latest
results.

More details can be found at the winter school website
http://blockchain.sjtu.edu.cn/en/index.php