[Busec] Prabhanjan Ananth, UCLA (Wed 9:45am)

Foteini Baldimtsi foteini at baldimtsi.com
Mon Apr 25 10:29:56 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

Join us on Wednesday for a talk on Patchable Indistinguishability
Obfuscation by Prabhanjan Ananth from UCLA. More details below - lunch will
follow at the Busec lounge.

Hope to see you all!

Foteini

***
Patchable Indistinguishability Obfuscation: iO for Evolving Software
Speaker: Prabhanjan Ananth, UCLA
Date: Wednesday 04/27 2016,  9:45pm-10:45pm
Room: MCS148

In this work, we introduce patchable indistinguishability obfuscation: our
notion adapts the notion of indistinguishability obfuscation (iO) to a very
general setting where obfuscated software evolves over time. We model this
broadly by considering software patches P as arbitrary Turing Machines that
take as input the description of a Turing Machine M, and output a new
Turing Machine description M' = P(M). Thus, a short patch P can cause
changes everywhere in the description of M and can even cause the
description length of the machine to increase by an arbitrary polynomial
amount. We further consider the setting where a patch is applied not just
to a single machine M, but to an unbounded set of machines (M_1,..., M_t)
to yield (P(M_1),..., P(M_t). We call this multi-program patchable
indistinguishability obfuscation.

We consider both single-program and multi-program patchable
indistinguishability obfuscation in a setting where there are an unbounded
number of patches that can be adaptively chosen by an adversary. We show
that sub-exponentially secure iO for circuits and sub-exponentially secure
re-randomizable encryption schemes imply single-program patchable
indistinguishability obfuscation; and we show that sub-exponentially secure
iO for circuits and sub-exponentially secure DDH imply multi-program
patchable indistinguishability obfuscation.

En route to building multi-program patchable indistinguishability
obfuscation, we develop techniques that might be useful to achieve patching
for other definitions of program obfuscation. Finally, we exhibit some
simple applications of patchable indistinguishability obfuscation, to
demonstrate how these concepts can be applied.

Joint work with Abhishek Jain and Amit Sahai