[Busec] Fwd: 6.876 Advanced Topics in Cryptography: Lattices

Ran Canetti canetti at tau.ac.il
Tue Sep 8 14:38:24 EDT 2015

FYI...

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	6.876 Advanced Topics in Cryptography: Lattices
Date: 	Tue, 8 Sep 2015 09:42:30 -0400
From: 	Vinod Vaikuntanathan <vinod.nathan at gmail.com>
To: 	Csail <toc-faculty at csail.mit.edu>, toc-visitors at csail.mit.edu,
toc-students at csail.mit.edu, theory-postdocs at csail.mit.edu,
csail-announce at csail.mit.edu

Dear all,

Please find below the announcement for a graduate course on lattices
6.876J that I am teaching this semester.

If you are interested in attending this class (either for credit or as a
listener), please drop me a line.

Thanks, and best,
Vinod

6.876J ADVANCED TOPICS IN CRYPTOGRAPHY: LATTICES (3-0-9, H level)
Instructor: Vinod Vaikuntanathan
When: MW2:30-4 pm (first lecture: Wed 9/9)
Where: 26-328
Class website: http://people.csail.mit.edu/vinodv/6876-Fall2015/index.html

Integer Lattices are a formidable tool in mathematics and computer
science, with many applications in (algebraic) number theory, in
combinatorial optimization, and in breaking and building cryptosystems.
Come to 6.876 to learn about lattice algorithms, the complexity theory
of lattice problems, and their use in cryptography.

A sample of topics we will cover include:

-- Lattice Algorithms: Classical algorithms such as LLL and AKS for
finding (approximate) shortest and closest vectors, as well as brand-new
developments (from STOC and FOCS’15).

-- Coppersmith’s Method and Using Lattices for Cryptanalysis: Breaking
knapsack cryptosystems, low-exponent RSA and some stream ciphers.

-- Complexity Theory of Lattice Problems: NP-hardness of approximation
and AM protocols. We will discuss several open problems in this area.

-- Cryptography: Ajtai’s worst-case to average-case reduction for
lattice problems, one-way functions, public-key encryption, homomorphic
encryption, you name it...

REGISTRATION: Subscribe to the class mailing list
athttp://lists.csail.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/6876-f15 if you would like
to take the class for credit or as a listener.

PREREQUISITES: 6.045 and 6.046 (or equivalent) and basic linear algebra.
If you do not have the prerequisites and would still like to take the
class, come talk to me.

GRADING: The grade will be based on 1-2 problem sets, scribe notes and a
final project.