[Busec] [BUsec] seminar next week Avichai Cohen (Wed 10am)

Foteini Baldimtsi foteini at baldimtsi.com
Sat Nov 7 19:38:11 EST 2015

At next week's BUsec seminar we are hosting Avichai Cohen from Hebrew
University of Jerusalem. Avichai will talk about Jumpstarting Interdomain
Routing Security.

See you all on Wednesday at 10am!

Title: Jumpstarting Interdomain Routing Security
Speaker: Avichai Cohen, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Hariri
Wednesday Nov. 11, 10-11am

Abstract:

Extensive standardization and R&D efforts are dedicated to establishing
secure interdomain routing. These efforts focus on two complementary
mechanisms: origin authentication with RPKI, and path validation with
BGPsec. However, while RPKI is finally gaining traction, the adoption of
BGPsec seems not even on the horizon. This is due to inherent, possibly
insurmountable, obstacles, including the need to replace today's routing
infrastructure, meagre benefits in partial deployment, and the overhead of
online cryptography. We aim to design lightweight alternatives to BGPsec
that can significantly improve interdomain routing security.

We propose path-end validation, a modest extension to RPKI that does not
require modifications to BGP message format nor online cryptography. We
show, through extensive simulations on empirically-derived datasets, that
path-end validation yields significant security benefits, even with very
limited partial deployment. We present an open-source prototype
implementation of path-end validation, which does not require changing
today's routers, illustrating the deployability advantage over BGPsec. We
also explore additional mechanisms for jumpstarting interdomain routing
security.

Joint work with Yossi Gilad (Hebrew University), Amir Herzberg (Bar-Ilan
University) and Michael Schapira (Hebrew University)