[Busec] Seminar On practical Security: Monday, June 1, noon-1pm in PHO 339

Ari Trachtenberg trachten at bu.edu
Fri May 22 12:10:44 EDT 2015

DEA12 &HAC1<E12$,

We are planning to restart our fifth(?) annual summer weekly seminar series
on the practical elements of security, with the generous support
of the BU RISCS center (http://www.bu.edu/riscs/ <http://www.bu.edu/riscs/>).  Last year, we had
an exciting array of presentations (http://algorithmics.bu.edu/sos/ <http://algorithmics.bu.edu/sos/>) including, for example:

   * Software-Defined Radio attacks on hospital pagers, air traffic control
         and satellite communications
   * Attacks on autonomous cars, building management systems, Android sensors ...
   * Mitigation of high-volume distributed denial of service attacks

Our first meeting will be on Monday, June 1 from noon-1pm in PHO 339.
It will be largely an organizational meeting, accompanied by a light lunch, a
brief synopsis of some faculty research in the area and a brief talk (more later).

An RSVP is appreciated (but not necessary) if you are interested in attending the seminar,
and please feel free to disseminate to others you think might find this interesting.

Best,
-Ari

P.S.  For students who are new, the "price" of admission is a willingness,
in principle, to make one short presentation on security over the summer.
For ideas on possible talks, you may ask participating faculty or utilize BU's
site license to Blackhat videos (http://algorithmics.bu.edu/bh/ <http://algorithmics.bu.edu/bh/>) and
Defcon videos (http://algorithmics.bu.edu/dc/ <http://algorithmics.bu.edu/dc/>).