[Busec] busec next week: Practice talk by Foteini Baldimtsi (Wed 10am)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Tue Jan 13 15:23:42 EST 2015

Next week, we'll ease our way into the new semester with a 25 minute
practice talk for FC'14 by Foteini Baldimtsi, followed by questions and
feedback.  Please come give your comments to Foteini during the talk and
afterwards, during lunch in the lab.

Practice talk: Sorting and Searching Behind the Curtain
Foteini Baldimtsi. BU.
Hariri Seminar Room
Wednesday Feb 21, 10-11am

Abstract
We study the problem of private outsourced sorting of encrypted data. We
start by proposing a novel sorting protocol that allows a user to outsource
his data to a cloud server in an encrypted form and then request the server
to perform computations on this data and sort the result. To perform the
sorting the server is assisted by a secure coprocessor with minimal
computational and memory resources. The server and the coprocessor are
assumed to be honest but curious, i.e., they honestly follow the protocol
but are interested in learning more about the user data. We refer to the
new protocol as private outsourced sorting since it guarantees that neither
the server nor the coprocessor learn anything about user data as long as
they are non-colluding. We formally define private outsourced sorting and
provide an efficient construction that is based on semi-homomorphic
encryption.

As an application of our private sort, we present MRSE: the first scheme
for outsourced search over encrypted data that efficiently answers
multi-term queries with the result ranked using frequency of query terms in
the data, while maintaining data privacy. To construct MRSE we use
searchable encryption techniques combined with our new private sort
framework. Finally, although not discussed in this work, we believe that
our private sort framework can turn out to be an important tool for more
applications that require outsourced sorting while maintaining data
privacy, e.g., database queries.

Joint work with Olga Ohrimenko