[Busec] project opportunity/ request - BitPatient - blockchain for healthcare data

Sevan Chorluyan sevanchorluyan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 10:15:00 EST 2015

Hi Eli,

Thanks for the question.

The core problem this is addressing is the issue of ownership. In the
current model, patient's don't own their data. At best, they can request a
facsimile copy of it. As such, this causes problems for both the providers
who are now tasked with owning the patient's data and the patient who now
must rely on the providers.

The value proposition is that by moving ownership of the data to the
patient it will do the following things;

(1) create a distributed system that is application agnostic and therefore
easier to maintain for IT departments,
(2) it will shield providers from liability as the data will be available
to everyone but encrypted and therefore useless without proper individual
level permission, as opposed to the database level permissions currently
used and therefore a huge, profitable target (this is news from yesterday
http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/anthem-hacked-health-insurance/2015/02/05/id/622939/
)
(3) innovation in developing useful patient facing applications. If you
currently try to build a useful patient application you are going to run
into HIPAA which is the totally shitty way of attempting to legislate
security into the current model. By reverting ownership of data to the
patient, this effectively goes out the window. As a result, people can
finally start building applications that can take and add patient data
rather than having it locally hosted on someone's phone or cloud server
rendering it effectively useless and a pain to use.
(4) Healthcare is rarely provided by one organization. Yet we have an
organizational-centric data model. Every time a patient moves around the
healthcare system they need to manually bring the facsimile data with them.
Which is painful, leads to duplication of services, gaps in data,
frustration, etc.

These are the big ones I can think of that this time. Having worked in a
number of healthcare IT departments this past year and half, I've seen this
chaos first hand. They spend so much effort integrating their systems just
to start over again when they buy a new application. It is very wasteful
and doesn't actually help the patients.

Best,

Sev