[Busec] busec this week: Ben Fuller (Tues 2.30pm)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Tue Nov 25 07:59:43 EST 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

Before everyone disappears for the break, a few announcements. Ben Fuller's
PhD Defense (on key derivation from noisy sources) is today at 2.30pm.  At
next week's seminar, our own Dimitris Papadopoulos will talk about
verifiable queries on outsourced databases.  We host the Charles River
Crypto Day, next Friday December 5 at BU.  And our final seminar for the
semester will be on Wed Dec 10, with Vinod Vaikuntanathan. Abstracts below.

PhD Defense: Strong Key Derivation from Noisy Sources
Ben Fuller, BU
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at 2:30pm
MCS 180 – Hariri Institute

A shared cryptographic key enables strong authentication.  Candidate
sources for creating such a shared key include biometrics and physically
unclonable functions.  However, these sources come with a substantial
problem: noise in repeated readings.

A fuzzy extractor produces a stable key from a noisy source.  For many
sources of practical importance, traditional fuzzy extractors provide no
meaningful security guarantee.  This dissertation improves fuzzy extractors.

First, we show how to incorporate structural information about the physical
source to facilitate key derivation.  Second, most fuzzy extractors work by
first recovering the initial reading from the noisy reading.  We improve
key derivation by producing a consistent key without recovering the
original reading.  Third, traditional fuzzy extractors provide
information-theoretic security.  We build fuzzy extractors achieving new
properties by only providing security against computational bounded
adversaries.

Committee:
Leonid Reyzin (Advisor and First Reader)
Ran Canetti (Second Reader)
Daniel Wichs (NEU, Third Reader)
Sharon Goldberg
Steve Homer (Committee Chair)

****

Title: Verifiable Queries on Outsourced Datasets:
General Models, Cryptographic Tools and Constructions for Specific Functions
Speaker: Dimitris Papadopoulos, BU
December 3, 2014. 10-11:30am
Hariri Seminar Room

Abstract: Outsourcing of data and computation has emerged as common
practice for enterprises and individuals, in particular in the context of
cloud computing. One security concern that arises in this context is that
of integrity-of-computation; how can parties querying the outsourced data
be certain for the correctness of the results they receive, even in the
presence of a malicious distributing server. In this talk I will go over
some different models of interaction that arise in this context between
data owners, servers and clients and demonstrate general security solutions
using cryptographic tools. Finally, I will present in detail our recent
result  for the case of multi-dimensional range queries that  appeared in
ACM CCS'14 (joint work with Stavros Papadopoulos from Intel & MIT and Nikos
Triandopoulos from RSA Laboratories & Boston University).

****
Charles River Crypto Day
BU Hariri Institute, 111 Cummington St, room MCS180.
Friday December 5, 2014.

Schedule

9:30 – 10:00. Introduction/Coffee
10:00 – 11:00. Yuval Ishai, Technion.
Circuits Resilient to Additive Attacks, with Applications to Secure
Computation
11:30 – 12:30. Omer Paneth, Boston University
Publicly-Verifiable Non-Interactive Arguments for Delegating Computations
12:30 – 2:00. Lunch (provided)
2:00 – 3:00. Elaine Shi, University of Maryland
Programs to Circuits: Towards a Programming Language for Cryptography
3:30 – 4:30. Sergey Gorbunov, MIT
Leveled Fully Homomorphic Signatures from Standard Lattices

Thanks: NSF Frontier Award: Modular Approach to Cloud Security (MACS),
Hariri Institute for Computing and Center for RISCS. And a special thanks
to Leo Reyzin for his help hosting Crypto Day at BU