[Busec] busec this week: Omer Paneth (Mon 9.30am), Ben Fuller (Tues 2.30pm)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Fri Nov 21 14:46:08 EST 2014

At this week's busec seminar, Omer Paneth will be explaining recent work on
the first candidate construction of obfuscation for all circuits.

*** Note unusual time!  Omer's talk is at 9.30am on Monday  ***

Also, on Tuesday, Ben Fuller will have his PhD Defense (on key derivation
from noisy sources).  Abstracts below.

See you there!

Candidate Construction of Obfuscation for all Circuits
Omer Paneth, BU.
Monday November 24, 2014, 9:30am – 11:00am
Hariri Seminar Room, MCS180

Last year Garg, Gentry, Halevi, Raykova, Sahai and Waters [FOCS 2013]
presented the first candidate construction of obfuscation for all circuits.
I will describe a variant of this  construction and give a security proof
in the generic graded encoding model based on [Garg et. al. EUROCRYPT 2014].

Links to papers:
http://eprint.iacr.org/2013/451
http://eprint.iacr.org/2013/631

****

PhD Defense: Strong Key Derivation from Noisy Sources
Ben Fuller, BU
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at 2:30pm
MCS 180 – Hariri Institute

A shared cryptographic key enables strong authentication.  Candidate
sources for creating such a shared key include biometrics and physically
unclonable functions.  However, these sources come with a substantial
problem: noise in repeated readings.

A fuzzy extractor produces a stable key from a noisy source.  For many
sources of practical importance, traditional fuzzy extractors provide no
meaningful security guarantee.  This dissertation improves fuzzy extractors.

First, we show how to incorporate structural information about the physical
source to facilitate key derivation.  Second, most fuzzy extractors work by
first recovering the initial reading from the noisy reading.  We improve
key derivation by producing a consistent key without recovering the
original reading.  Third, traditional fuzzy extractors provide
information-theoretic security.  We build fuzzy extractors achieving new
properties by only providing security against computational bounded
adversaries.

Committee:
Leonid Reyzin (Advisor and First Reader)
Ran Canetti (Second Reader)
Daniel Wichs (NEU, Third Reader)
Sharon Goldberg
Steve Homer (Committee Chair)