[Busec] CS colloquium: P. Brighten Godfrey (Friday 9am)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Tue Nov 4 13:47:11 EST 2014

This Friday at 9am I'm hosting a networking colloquium by P. Brighten
Godfrey from UIUC. I hope you can make it!

***

Networking at the Speed of Light
P. Brighten Godfrey, UIUC
Friday November 7, 2014. 9-10am
MCS 148

Our interactive experiences on the Internet depend on low latency, and even
milliseconds matter in gaming, web browsing and other online services.  In
principle latencies could nearly match the speed of light.  But today, the
Internet is typically more than 10x and often more than 100x slower than
this bound.  In the first part of this talk, I'll propose a grand challenge
for the networking research community: a speed-of-light Internet. To inform
this research agenda, we investigate the causes of latency inflation in the
Internet and opportunities for improvement.

In the second part of this talk, we'll tackle one of the thorniest problems
plaguing both latency and data delivery performance: the Internet's
surprisingly poor transport.  We argue the TCP family has little hope to
achieve consistent high performance due to a fundamental deficiency: its
"hardwired" control.  I will discuss our newly-released
Performance-oriented Congestion Control (PCC), a new architecture in which
each sender continuously observes the effects of its actions on empirically
experienced performance. Across many real-world and challenging
environments, PCC shows consistent and often 10x performance improvement,
with better fairness and stability than TCP.  PCC requires no router
hardware support or new packet format.

The talk covers joint work with Ankit Singla, Balakrishnan Chandrasekaran,
Bruce Maggs, Mo Dong, Qingxi Li, Doron Zarchy, and Michael Schapira.

Bio:
P. Brighten Godfrey is an assistant professor in the Department of Computer
Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He received his
Ph.D. at UC Berkeley in May 2009, and his B.S. at Carnegie Mellon
University in 2002. His research interests lie in the design of networked
systems and algorithms. He is a winner of the Sloan Research Fellowship
(2014), the  National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2012), an Internet2
Innovative Application Award (2013), and paper awards from the IEEE
Communications Society & Information Theory Society, the IEEE
Communications Society Data Storage Technical Committee, and ACM HotSDN
(2012 and 2014).  He is a Beckman Fellow at the UIUC Center for Advanced
Study in 2014-2015, and progam committee co-chair of ACM HotNets 2014.