[Busec] Seminar On practical Security; 6/30, noon-1pm in PHO 339

Ari Trachtenberg trachten at bu.edu
Thu Jun 26 16:49:15 EDT 2014

Our next seminar will be Monday, June 30 from noon-1pm in PHO 339.
We will have two talks: (abstracts appended)

1.  Aanchal Malhotra - DNS: Vulnerabilities and its Implications
2.  Mike Sabbota - Network-Scale Mitigation of High-Volume
Reflection/Amplification DDoS Attacks

As usual, You may also browse the seminar list and view Blackhat/Defcon
videos (BU license) at http://algorithmics.bu.edu/twiki/bin/view/SOS.
- ---
Talk 1

Title
DNS: Vulnerabilities and its Implications

Speaker/Bio
Aanchal Malhotra: I am a graduate student (MS computer science with
specialization in cybersecurity) at the Graduate School of Arts &
Sciences (GRS), Boston University. My research interests include
Networks security and cryptography. As a member of BU Security group,
my current research focuses on investigating the security
solutions/proposals for inter-domain routing protocols like the BGP.

Abstract
Domain Name System (DNS) primarily translates the domain names to
their corresponding IP address in the Internet. DNSSec is designed to
provide authentication and data integrity to DNS responses. However,
in recent years security researchers have unravelled many
loopholes/vulnerabilities in DNS protocol and its implementation, thus
exposing it to several attacks. In this presentation, I will discuss a
fragmentation attack [Haya Shulman & Amir Herzberg] and its
implications on DNSSec.
- ---
Talk 2

Title
Network-Scale Mitigation of High-Volume Reflection/Amplification DDoS
Attacks

Speaker/Bio
Mike Sabbota is a consulting engineer for Arbor Networks. He has over
18 years experience in designing, building and implementing networking
and security strategies for global service providers and fortune 100
financial service organizations. Mike has been an early member and key
contributor to a number of successful start-up companies who
specialized in carrier-grade messaging, DNS, and security
infrastructure. He is currently a student of the BU MET ADCP CS
program ('15).

Abstract
Although volumetric reflection/amplification attacks have been
observed in the wild for many years, recent high-profile NTP and DNS
attacks have drawn more attention to them. This presentation will
review a couple of the common DDoS reflection attacks, infrastructure
impacts and best practices for mitigation.
- --
Prof. Ari Trachtenberg                  ECE, Boston University
trachten at bu.edu                    http://people.bu.edu/trachten