[Busec] CFP Citizen Lab Summer Institute

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Mon Jun 23 20:05:40 EDT 2014

FYI.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Ronald Deibert* <R.DEIBERT at utoronto.ca>
Date: Monday, June 23, 2014
Subject: Reminder CFP Citizen Lab Summer Institute
To: MIOR-L at listserv.utoronto.ca

Dear Colleagues (Apologies for cross posting)

A reminder that we have a call for proposals out for the 2014 edition of
the Citizen Lab summer institute.  Some more details below.

The event brings together a diverse group of academics and practitioners
who are working on research projects that explore information controls,
especially Internet filtering and surveillance. The event will be a mix of
presentations, panels, skill share tutorials, and hands on breakout groups.
This is our second year holding the event. In the first year we had
students, faculty and researchers from over 14 different disciplines along
with colleagues from human rights organizations who conduct research.

Please see our event site for details:
http://citizenlab.org/summerinstitute/2014

Here's the program from last year to get a sense of what it's like
http://citizenlab.org/summerinstitute/2013program.html

Some notes on the format*. *This year we will have talks and panels on
Monday. The purpose of the talks on these days will be to give everyone an
overview of what is going on in the community from the different
disciplines present. Tues and Weds will be devoted to optional skill share
tutorials (e.g tools and methods people use in their work) and breakout
sessions that are formed around areas of common interest (e.g. network
measurement and filtering). The goal in these breakouts will be to share
work and current challenges with each other and ideally develop small
manageable project ideas around the topic of the individual group. These
projects should be relatively short term (~3 months) and something that can
be committed to and achieved with the people in your group. The goal will
be delivering a set of follow-up projects and activities that can be
developed after the workshop. In general we hope for more hacking, less
talking, on those days

The final day is going to be a wrap up where we learn what we all did in
days 2 and 3 and discuss what we would like to do together going forward in
these smaller groups and as a community generally.

So the proposals are more around projects you want feedback on, things you
want to contribute, and topics you want to hack on. For days 2 and 3 we
will have time for lightning talks from everyone so people can get up to
speed on what each others projects are about.

Please note proposals are due **June 30, 2014 at Midnight EDT**

 Ronald Deibert
Director, the Citizen Lab
and the Canada Centre for Global Security Studies
Munk School of Global Affairs
University of Toronto
(416) 946-8916
PGP: http://deibert.citizenlab.org/pubkey.txt