[Busec] Seminar On practical Security; 6/16, noon-1pm in PHO 339

Ari Trachtenberg trachten at bu.edu
Thu Jun 12 16:33:55 EDT 2014

Our next seminar will be Monday, June 16 from noon-1pm in PHO 339.
We will have two talks: (abstracts appended)

1. Prof. David Starobinski - Strengthening Wi-Fi Network-Wide
2. Prof. Yuting Zhang - Android Permissions: threats and solutions

You may also browse the seminar list and view Blackhat/Defcon
videos (BU license) at http://algorithmics.bu.edu/twiki/bin/view/SOS.
- ---
Talk 1

Title: Strengthening Wi-Fi Network-Wide
Speaker/Bio: David Starobinski, professor of Electrical and Computer
Engineering at BU.
Abstract:
Wi-Fi has emerged as the technology of choice for Internet access.
Thus, virtually every smartphone or tablet is now equipped with a
Wi-Fi card. Concurrently, and as a means to maximize spectral
efficiency, Wi-Fi radios are becoming increasingly complex and
sensitive to wireless channel conditions. The prevalence of Wi-Fi
networks, along with their adaptive behavior, makes them an ideal
target for denial of service attacks at a large, infrastructure level.

In this talk, I will show how vulnerabilities in rate adaptation
mechanisms can be used to mount reflection attacks on an entire Wi-Fi
network. I will then present mitigating solutions and areas for future
research. Finally, time permitting, I will present a Google Dork to
quickly and remotely identify weak set-ups of Wi-Fi enterprise networks.