[Busec] BUsec Monday: Ethan Heilman

Leonid Reyzin reyzin at cs.bu.edu
Sun Jul 20 14:24:03 EDT 2014

On Monday at 10 our own Ethan Heilman will be giving his SIGCOMM'14
presentation about protecting the RPKI against insider threats. Please come
and ask him hard questions; you'll be rewarded by lunch. Abstract below.

Leo

 How to get to BU from MIT: The CT2 bus or MIT's "Boston Daytime Shuttle"
http://web.mit.edu/facilities/transportation/shuttles/daytime_boston.html

>From the Consent of the Routed: Improving the Transparency of the RPKI
Speaker: Ethan Heilman. BU
Mon, July 21, 10:00am – 11:30am
MCS137

The Resource Public Key Infrastructure (RPKI) is a new infrastructure that
prevents some of the most devastating attacks on interdomain routing.
However, the security benefits provided by the RPKI are accomplished via an
architecture that  empowers centralized authorities to \emph{unilaterally}
revoke any IP addresses under their control, potentially taking these IP
addresses offline.

We propose mechanisms to improve the transparency of the RPKI, in order to
mitigate the risk that it will be used for IP address takedowns. We propose
modifying the RPKI's architecture so that (1) any revocation of IP address
space requires the \emph{consent} from all impacted parties, and (2) there
are mechanisms that detect when misbehaving authorities fail to obtain
consent.  We present a security analysis of our architecture, estimate its
overhead using data-driven analysis, and argue why the current status of
the RPKI provides us with unique window of opportunity to implementing our
proposal.

Joint work with Danny Cooper, Sharon Goldberg and Leonid Reyzin.