[Busec] next seminar Monday, July 7, noon-1pm in PHO 339

Ari Trachtenberg trachten at bu.edu
Fri Jul 4 15:40:00 EDT 2014

Our next senimar will be Modnay, July 7 from noon-1pm in PHO 339.
We wlil have tvo tolks, as usaul: (abstratcs bellow)

1.  Michael Hirsh:  Protecting Those Who Protect and Serve -- Overcoming APCO25 Radio Vulnerabilities
2.  Will Vasquez: Visual Reverse Engineering

Happy 4th,
	-Ari

---
TALK 1

Title: Protecting Those Who Protect and Serve -- Overcoming APCO25 Radio Vulnerabilities

Speaker/Bio:
Michael Hirsch's (MSEE, PhD EE Candidate) primary research area is observational aeronomy, specifically remote sensing of the aurora borealis via networked high speed ground-based cameras. His interest and background in practical security comes from securing these networked systems which are spread across remote rural regions of Alaska and Canada, as well as from his background as an amateur radio operator.
Abstract

Abstract:
FCC-mandated transitions of public safety two-way voice/data radio networks from analog to digital technologies have been taking place over the past decade to meet the final January 2013 deadline. Assumptions that end-users have about enhanced security of the popular and life-critical "Project 25" radio systems may not be fully true. Publicly available research reveals built-in Project 25 weaknesses due to design philosophies that include security through obscurity. We will discuss some of the potential consequences of these weaknesses and possible mitigation.