[Busec] BUsec this week: Shai Halevi (Wed 10am)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Sat Jan 25 09:39:25 EST 2014

Shai Halevi will be speaking at seminar this week, usual place and time
(Wed 10am) about two-round secure MPC from indistinguishability
obfuscation.  See you there!

 How to get to BU from MIT: The CT2 bus or MIT's "Boston Daytime Shuttle"
http://web.mit.edu/facilities/transportation/shuttles/daytime_boston.html

*****

Two-round secure MPC from Indistinguishability Obfuscation
Shai Halevi. IBM.
Wed, January 29, 10:00am – 11:30am
MCS137 (map)

One fundamental complexity measure of an MPC protocol is its *round
complexity*. Asharov et al. recently constructed the first three-round
protocol for general MPC in the CRS model. Here, we show how to achieve
this result with only two rounds. We obtain UC security with abort against
static malicious adversaries, and fairness if there is an honest majority.
Additionally the communication in our protocol is only proportional to the
input and output size of the function being evaluated and independent of
its circuit size. Our main tool is indistinguishability obfuscation, for
which a candidate construction was
recently proposed by Garg et al.

The technical tools that we develop in this work also imply virtual black
box obfuscation of a new primitive that we call a *dynamic point function*.
This primitive may be of independent interest.

Joint work with Sanjam Garg, Craig Gentry, and Mariana Raykova

*****

Regularity of Lossy Exponentiation and Applications.
Adam Smith.  Penn State.
Wed, February 5, 10am – 11:30am
MCS137