[Busec] Azure Research Grants | Training in NYC, Jan 23-24

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Wed Jan 8 13:13:57 EST 2014

This could be very useful. If you do decide to attend, please let me know!

I am contacting you on behalf of Microsoft Research as our team is
working with the global research community to support the use of cloud
computing in science. We are specifically interested in providing
resources for researchers to experiment with the cloud, and become
familiar with available tools and technologies.

Windows Azure is now available for use for scientific applications
through variety of platforms including Windows, Linux virtual machines
and programming languages such as Python, Java/C++.  In addition,
Windows Azure research grants are available for major compute and
storage projects.

Below is an overview about a training being co-hosted by Microsoft
Research and Center for Urban Science and Progress on***Jan 23 and 24 in
New York. *

Participants will receive a 6-month Windows Azure pass (worth $1200)
with which you can experiment, and develop your work using the cloud.
You will also learn more about receiving significant Windows Azure
12-month grants for your research through our program
www.azure4research.com <http://www.azure4research.com>

We would appreciate it if you could please forward the information on to
research faculty, post docs and graduate student researchers who would
benefit from this training and program.

*_An opportunity to learn about Azure and apply for cloud resources_*

/The no-cost two-day hands-on technical training will be held January 23
and 24 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM at Center for Urban Science and Progress,
New York University. All attendees must register in advance to secure
their place//- //click here to register/
<http://vp-nri.com/take?i=172232&h=p3zrIzcdHceGIOzTYv8pxQ>/./

The program will cover a variety of "hands-on labs" with programming
examples predominantly in Python and Java. No prior experience of cloud
computing or Windows Azure is expected.  The only prerequisite is some
programming experience. This two-day course is presented by specialized
trainers and is geared towards post-doctoral researchers, research
faculty, and of course, graduate research students.

Attendees will be able to access Windows Azure on their own laptop
during the training and for evaluation purposes for up to six months
after the event. The attendee's laptop does not need to have the Windows
operating system installed – Windows Azure is accessed via an Internet
browser. After attending the course, researchers will feel confident in
applying cloud computing in their current and future research.

For questions about the course please contact
azuretraining at microsoft.com
<mailto:azuretraining at microsoft.com<azuretraining at microsoft.com>

Register for the course
http://vp-nri.com/take?i=172232&h=p3zrIzcdHceGIOzTYv8pxQ

Course overview
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/azure/training.aspx

Detailed Course Description (pdf)

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/azure/msr-course-aug2013.pdf

Logistics and status information about the New York event:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/events/azure4researchtraining-newyork2014/

*DATE*: January 23-24, 2014

*TIME*: 9:00am - 5:00pm (registration begins @ 8:30am)

*LOCATION*: Center for Urban Science and Progress, NYU

Jacobs Seminar Room

1 MetroTech Center, 19th Floor

Brooklyn, NY

Please reach out to me at vanim at microsoft.com
<mailto:vanim at microsoft.com>, for more information on Microsoft’s Azure
Awards program. I am very interested in learning more about how your
team might be using, or considering cloud computing.

Regards,

Vani

Senior Program Manager

<http://www.research.microsoft.com/connections>