[Busec] busec this week: Dimitris Papadopoulos (Wed 10am), Crypto Day (Fri)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Tue Dec 2 10:07:17 EST 2014

At this week's seminar, our own Dimitris Papadopoulos will talk about
verifiable queries on outsourced databases.  This Friday December 5 we host
the Charles River Crypto Day at BU.  And our final seminar for the semester
will be on Wed Dec 10, with Vinod Vaikuntanathan. Abstracts below.

Title: Verifiable Queries on Outsourced Datasets:
General Models, Cryptographic Tools and Constructions for Specific Functions
Speaker: Dimitris Papadopoulos, BU
December 3, 2014. 10-11:30am
Hariri Seminar Room

Abstract: Outsourcing of data and computation has emerged as common
practice for enterprises and individuals, in particular in the context of
cloud computing. One security concern that arises in this context is that
of integrity-of-computation; how can parties querying the outsourced data
be certain for the correctness of the results they receive, even in the
presence of a malicious distributing server. In this talk I will go over
some different models of interaction that arise in this context between
data owners, servers and clients and demonstrate general security solutions
using cryptographic tools. Finally, I will present in detail our recent
result  for the case of multi-dimensional range queries that  appeared in
ACM CCS'14 (joint work with Stavros Papadopoulos from Intel & MIT and Nikos
Triandopoulos from RSA Laboratories & Boston University).

****
Charles River Crypto Day
BU Hariri Institute, 111 Cummington St, room MCS180.
Friday December 5, 2014.

Schedule

9:30 – 10:00. Introduction/Coffee
10:00 – 11:00. Yuval Ishai, Technion.
Circuits Resilient to Additive Attacks, with Applications to Secure
Computation
11:30 – 12:30. Omer Paneth, Boston University
Publicly-Verifiable Non-Interactive Arguments for Delegating Computations
12:30 – 2:00. Lunch (provided)
2:00 – 3:00. Elaine Shi, University of Maryland
Programs to Circuits: Towards a Programming Language for Cryptography
3:30 – 4:30. Sergey Gorbunov, MIT
Leveled Fully Homomorphic Signatures from Standard Lattices

****
Title: TBA
Speaker: Vinod Vaikuntanathan, MIT
December 10, 2014. 10-11:30am