[Busec] busec: welcome back! first seminar Wed Sept 10 at 10am

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Wed Aug 27 18:59:26 EDT 2014

Hi Everyone,

Welcome back!  We're starting to set up another semester of busec seminars;
suggestions or volunteers interested in giving a seminar are welcome.
Please see the calendar for what is already planned, and we are
tentatively planning to use the Wed 10-11:30am slot again this semester.

I'll give the first seminar of the year on Wednesday Sept 10 at 10am. This
will be a practice talk on my new surveillance law paper prior to
presenting it at the Telecommunications Policy Research Conference.
Abstract below.

Hope you can make it!

 How to get to BU from MIT: The CT2 bus or MIT's "Boston Daytime Shuttle"
http://web.mit.edu/facilities/transportation/shuttles/daytime_boston.html

Loopholes for Circumventing the Constitution: Unrestrained Bulk
Surveillance on Americans by Collecting Network Traffic Abroad
Speaker: Sharon Goldberg, BU.
Wednesday September 10, 2014, 10:00-11am

We reveal interdependent legal and technical loopholes that the U.S.
intelligence community could use to circumvent constitutional and statutory
safeguards for Americans. We describe how the collection of American's
Internet traffic on foreign territory exploits loopholes that can leave
Americans as unprotected as foreigners by current U.S. surveillance laws.
We also describe how modern Internet protocols can be manipulated to
deliberately divert American's traffic abroad, where it can then be
collected under a more permissive legal regime (Executive Order 12333) that
is overseen solely by the Executive branch of the U.S. government.  While
the media has reported on some of the techniques we describe (eg operation
'MUSCULAR') we cannot establish the extent to which these loopholes are
exploited in practice. Instead, we seek to contribute to public
understanding of EO 12333 and its underlying policies, in particular how
advances in technology implicate the privacy protections contained
therein.

Joint work with Axel Arnbak.