[Busec] Next seminar: Monday, August 11 from noon-1pm in PHO339

Ari Trachtenberg trachten at bu.edu
Fri Aug 8 12:17:33 EDT 2014

Our penultimate seminar will be on Monday, August 11, from noon-1pm in PHO 339.
We will have two talks:  (abstracts appended)

1.  Ethan Heilman - From the Consent of the Routed: Improving the Transparency of the RPKI.
2.  Liangxiao Xin - Gaining Insight on Friendly Jamming in a Real-World IEEE 802.11 Network

The entire schedule, and some slides, is available at http://algorithmics.bu.edu/sos.
---
Talk 1

Title: From the Consent of the Routed: Improving the Transparency of the RPKI.

Speaker/Bio:
Ethan is a PhD student in the Boston University Security Group (BUSec) of the Computer Science Dept. His research interests are: Network security, crypto currencies, hash function cryptanalysis and side channel attacks. His most recent projects have been related to internet routing and Bitcoin.

Abstract:
The Resource Public Key Infrastructure (RPKI) is a new infrastructure that prevents some of the most devastating attacks on interdomain routing. However, the security benefits provided by the RPKI are accomplished via an architecture that empowers centralized authorities to unilaterally revoke any IP prefixes under their control. We propose mechanisms to improve the transparency of the RPKI, in order to mitigate the risk that it will be used for IP address takedowns. First, we present tools that detect and visualize changes to the RPKI that can potentially take down an IP prefix. We use our tools to identify errors and revocations in the production RPKI. Next, we propose modifications to the RPKI’s architecture to (1) require any revocation of IP address space to receive consent from all impacted parties, and (2) detect when misbehaving authorities fail to obtain consent. We present a security analysis of our architecture, and estimate its overhead using data-driven analysis.

---
Talk 2

Title: Gaining Insight on Friendly Jamming in a Real-World IEEE 802.11 Network

Speaker/Bio:
Liangxiao Xin is a PhD student from Systems Engineering, Boston University. His research interests are wireless communication and cyber security.

Abstract:
I will present the paper "Gaining Insight on Friendly Jamming in a Real-World IEEE 802.11 Network", (Berger, Daniel S., et al. 2014). This paper focus on the practical viability of friendly jamming in a real-world network. They implement a reactive and frame-selective jammer and show the crucial factors governing the trade-off between the effectiveness of friendly jamming and its cost.
---
Ari Trachtenberg, Boston University
http://people.bu.edu/trachten mailto:trachten at bu.edu