[Busec] Seminar On practical Security: Monday, August 4, noon-1pm in PHO 339

Ari Trachtenberg trachten at bu.edu
Fri Aug 1 15:27:11 EDT 2014

Our next seminar will be on Monday, August 4, from noon-1pm in PHO 339 (please show up
at 11:55am to get food).

We will have two talks:  (abstracts appended)
1.  Wenjie Shi  - Detecting Android Repackaged Applications
2.  Morteza Hashemi - All Your RFz Are Belong to Me: Hacking the Wireless World with Software Defined Radio (Def Con 21)

The entire schedule, and some slides, is available at http://algorithmics.bu.edu/sos.
If you have sharable slides from old talks, please send them to me.
---
Talk 1:

Title: Detecting Android Repackaged Applications

Speaker/Bio: Wenjie Shi is a graduate student at Boston University majoring in Computer Science.

Abstract:
The number of Android applications are explosively growing nowadays, meanwhile, Android security has been an appealing aspect to many researchers. Repackaged application, which malicious authors may put some extra payloads to legitimate application, is one of the security risks. This presentation will talk about how these repackaged applications expose security risks and how to detect them.

---
Talk 2:

Title:  All Your RFz Are Belong to Me: Hacking the Wireless World with Software Defined Radio (Def Con 21)

Speaker/Bio: Morteza Hashemi is a !PhD candidate in the department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at BU. His research is mainly focused on error correcting codes and their applications into wireless networks.

Abstract:
Recently, software defined radio (SDR) has seen an explosion in popularity thanks to rapidly evolving capabilities of digital electronics. In an SDR, frequency hopping, modulation schemes and other signal processing happen in software  on a personal computer or embedded system, rather than specialized hardware. In this talk, we show that it is the ultimate in convenience for hackers seeking confidential information, for example, in a hospital pager systems, airplane tracking, or satellite communications.
---
Prof. Ari Trachtenberg            ECE, Boston University
trachten at bu.edu                    http://people.bu.edu/trachten