[Busec] BUsec this week: Melissa Chase (Wed 10AM)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Wed Sep 11 08:21:00 EDT 2013

Our seminar starts today at 10AM with a talk by  Melissa Chase from MSR.
 As usual, lunch will be served, and we will meet in MCS137. On Monday next
week we will have a talk by Seny Kamara from MSR.

See you all then!

 How to get to BU from MIT:  Try the CT2 bus or MIT's "Boston Daytime
 Shuttle"
http://web.mit.edu/facilities/transportation/shuttles/daytime_boston.html

*****
Controlled Malleability
Melissa Chase, MSR (Redmond)
Wednesday, Sept 11, 2013 10AM
 MCS137, 111 Cummington St, Boston, MA

Abstract:

Depending on the application, malleability in cryptography can be viewed as
either a flaw or –as in the case of homomorphic primitives—as a feature.
 In most previous settings, malleability has been an all-or-nothing
property: either all malleability is prevented, or we can make no
guarantees whatsoever on how the adversary may transform what he is given.
 However, in many cases one would like to allow some malleability while
guaranteeing that that is all that an adversary can do; we call this
controlled malleability.  We will consider this concept in terms of proof
systems, encryption schemes, and signatures, looking at how to formally
define these primitives and how they relate to previous notions.  We will
briefly discuss how to construct these objects, concretely based on DLIN in
the pairing setting, or more generically based on any publically verifiable
SNARG.  Finally, we will discuss a few applications, focusing on a new
approach to verifiable shuffles.

****

Title: How to Search over Encrypted Data
Speaker: Seny Kamara, MSR (Redmond)
Monday Sept 16, 10AM

Abstract:
The problem of searching over encrypted data arises often and, most
notably, in the design of secure database systems, file systems, cloud
storage systems and in the design of cryptographic protocols. Many
solutions to this problem have been proposed in the past, including
searchable encryption, deterministic encryption, order preserving
encryption, functional encryption, oblivious RAMs, secure two-party
computation and fully-homomorphic encryption.

In this talk, I will first briefly survey these different solutions and
discuss their various strengths and limitations, paying particularly close
attention to the tradeoffs made between security, efficiency and
functionality. I will then describe a particular approach to the encrypted
search problem called searchable encryption and its generalization called
structured encryption. Finally, I will discuss new problems motivated by
these primitives as well as applications beyond encrypted databases, e.g.,
to secure two-party computation.