[Busec] Fwd: course information: computing on encrypted data

Ran Canetti canetti at bu.edu
Wed Sep 4 17:47:36 EDT 2013

Highly recommended!

Ran

6.892 Seminar: Computing on Encrypted Data
Fall 2013

Instructor: Vinod Vaikuntanathan
When:  Mondays 12:30-2:30 (NOTE NEW TIME!)
Where: 34-304
Website: http://www.csail.mit.edu/~vinodv/6892-Fall2013
https://www.eecs.mit.edu/academics-admissions/academic-information/subject-updates-ft-2013/6892

<https://owa.exchange.mit.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=4vc2BC9iMkemtQPGrqhgU8zuGhBJfdAIVK_P0oGnX-m5mz31-bGXOnWXosnkIQcUn7r9Bcf5aLA.&URL=https%3a%2f%2fwww.eecs.mit.edu%2facademics-admissions%2facademic-information%2fsubject-updates-ft-2013%2f6892>

The course counts for Grad-H Credit and MEng Theoretical Computer
Science Concentration.

Course Description:

The basic nature of encryption has always been all-or-nothing:
anyone who knows the secret key can decode and recover the
entire data; but, without the key, nothing can be revealed.

Modern technologies such as cloud computing raise fundamentally
new challenges: Can we compute on encrypted data without
decrypting it, and without knowledge of the secret key? Which
functions can be computed this way? Who can learn the results
of such computations?

We will study both classical and modern technologies for computing
on encrypted data including, secure two-party and multi-party
computation protocols, fully homomorphic encryption, functional
encryption and program obfuscation. We will discuss the recent
exciting developments in these areas, and several open problems.

Prerequisites: Basic Knowledge of Cryptography. 6.875 or 6.857 is
a bonus.