[Busec] busec this week: Raef Bassily (Wed 10AM)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Mon Oct 7 14:59:20 EDT 2013

All,

Our privacy year continues with a seminar by Raef Bassily, a postdoc at
Penn State who is visiting BU this year. Seminar and lunch will be at the
usual time (Wednesday 10AM) and abstract is below.

The following week we will have a talk by Bhavana Kanukurthi from UCLA.
Title and abstract TBA.  The talk will be at an unusual time -- Tuesday at
10AM (which is a "Monday schedule" at BU).

 How to get to BU from MIT:  Try the CT2 bus or MIT's "Boston Daytime
 Shuttle" http://web.mit.edu/facilities/transportation/shuttles/
daytime_boston.html

Title: Coupled-Worlds Privacy: Exploiting Adversarial Uncertainty in
Statistical Data Privacy
Speaker:  Raef Bassily, Penn State University.
Wednesday Oct 2, 10AM
MCS137

 Abstract:
In this talk, I will present a new framework for defining privacy in
statistical databases that enables reasoning about and exploiting
adversarial uncertainty about the data. Roughly, our framework requires
indistinguishability of the real world in which a mechanism is computed
over the real dataset, and an ideal world in which a simulator outputs some
function of a “scrubbed” version of the dataset (e.g., one in which an
individual user’s data is removed). In each world, the underlying dataset
is drawn from the same distribution in some class (specified as part of the
definition), which models the adversary’s uncertainty about the dataset.

I will argue that our framework provides meaningful guarantees in a broader
range of settings as compared to previous efforts to model privacy in the
presence of adversarial uncertainty. I will also present several natural,
“noiseless” mechanisms that satisfy our definitional framework under
realistic assumptions on the distribution of the underlying data.

Joint work with Adam Groce, Jonathan Katz, and Adam Smith, appearing in
FOCS 2013
****
(TBA)
Speaker: Bhavana Kanukurthi, UCLA