[Busec] Bala Krishnamurthy talk at Brown, Dec 6

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Tue Nov 19 16:28:36 EST 2013

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rodrigo Fonseca <rfonseca at cs.brown.edu>

On another event, on Friday Dec 6th Bala from AT&T will come here for a
talk, you are more than welcome to come or forward this to anyone
interested.

Cheers,
Rodrigo

What: Systems Lunch Seminar Series (food included)
When: December 6th, 2013
Where: CIT 368

Abstract:
Internet privacy: Towards more transparency
                      Balachander Krishnamurthy
                         AT&T Labs--Research
                  http://www.research.att.com/~bala/papers

         Internet privacy has become a hot topic recently with the
         radical growth of Online Social Networks (OSN) and attendant
         publicity about various leakages. For the last several years
         we have been examining aggregation of user's information by a
         steadily decreasing number of entities as unrelated Web sites
         are browsed. I will present results from several studies on
         leakage of personally identifiable information (PII) via
         Online Social Networks and popular non-OSN sites. Linkage of
         information gleaned from different sources presents a
         challenging problem to technologists, privacy advocates,
         government agencies, and the multi-billion dollar online
         advertising industry. Economics might hold the key in
         increasing transparency of the largely hidden exchange of
         data in return for access of so-called free services. I will
         also talk briefly about doing privacy research at scale.

Bio: