[Busec] busec this week: Abhishek Jain (Wed 10am) and Sanjam Garg (Friday 1PM)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Sun Nov 17 19:15:50 EST 2013

We have two exciting crypto talks this week.

On Wednesday, our own Abhishek Jain will talk about multi-input functional
encryption; this will be (unusually) a white-board talk and so will be held
in MCS135 from 10-11am, with lunch right after.

On Friday, Sanjam Garg will be visiting from IBM research to tell us about
recent work in obfuscation; this talk will be on Friday at 1PM in MCS137.

See you then!

 How to get to BU from MIT:  Try the CT2 bus or MIT's "Boston Daytime
 Shuttle"
http://web.mit.edu/facilities/transportation/shuttles/daytime_boston.html

***

Multi-Input Functional Encryption
Abhishek Jain. BU/MIT
** Whiteboard talk in MCS135 ***
Wednesday Nov 20, 10-11am; Lunch at 11am.

Abstract: We introduce the problem of Multi-Input Functional Encryption,
where a secret key K_f can correspond to an n-ary function f that takes
multiple ciphertexts as input. Multi-input functional encryption is a
general tool for computing on encrypting data which allows for mining
aggregate information from several different data sources (rather than just
a single source as in ordinary functional encryption). We show wide
applications of this primitive to running SQL queries over encrypted
database, non-interactive differentially private data release, delegation
of computation, etc.

We formulate both indistinguishability-based and simulation-based
definitions of security for this notion, and show close connections with
indistinguishability and virtual black-box definitions of obfuscation.
Assuming indistinguishability obfuscation for circuits, we present
constructions achieving indistinguishability security as well as
simulation-based security (in those settings where simulation security is
possible). Assuming differing-inputs obfuscation [Barak et al., FOCS'01],
we also provide a construction with similar security guarantees as above,
but where the keys and ciphertexts are compact.

If time permits, I will also discuss how to extend functional encryption
(both single-input and multi-input) to handle randomized functionalities,
which opens new exciting applications.

Based on joint work with Shafi Goldwasser, Vipul Goyal and Amit Sahai.

*****

Title: Candidate Indistinguishability Obfuscation for all circuits and its
Applications
Sanjam Garg. IBM.
Friday Nov 22, 12:30-2PM
MCS137

Abstract: Indistinguishability obfuscation requires that given any two
equivalent circuits C_0 and C_1 of similar size, the obfuscations of C_0
and C_1 should be computationally indistinguishable. In this talk I will
give a construction for indistinguishability obfuscation that supports all
polynomial-size circuits and talk about its applications:

- I will describe a candidate construction for indistinguishability
obfuscation for NC1 circuits based on multilinear maps.

- I will show how to use indistinguishability obfuscation for NC1 together
with Fully Homomorphic Encryption (with decryption in NC1) to achieve
indistinguishability obfuscation for all circuits.

- Finally, I will show how indistinguishability obfuscation for circuits
can be used to realize many applications such as functional encryption and
witness encryption.

(Join work with Craig Gentry, Shai Halevi, Mariana Raykova, Amit Sahai and
Brent Waters)