[Busec] busec this week: Dimitris Papadopoulos (Wed 10AM) & many exciting talks the week of Nov 11

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Sun Nov 3 13:29:42 EST 2013

This week at our seminar, we have a talk by our own Dimitris Papadopoulos
on verifiable set operations over outsourced databases; the talk will be at
the usual place and time, Wednesday 10AM in MCS137.

The following week we have a very full set of exciting talks. On Monday,
Geoff Voelker from UCSD give a CS colloquium on measuring and mitigating
Internet spam.  We will also have a our regularly scheduled Wednesday
seminar with Sanjam Garg from IBM.

The second half of the week will include a number of events from our
privacy year.  On Wednesday, Adam Smith from UPenn will give an
introductory talk on differential privacy at the Harriri Institute at 3pm,
and on the Friday we have the Privacy Edition of our bi-yearly Charles
River Crypto Day, with speakers Jon Ullman, Aaron Roth, Katrina Ligett, and
Yanniv Ehlrich.

Abstracts below.  See you then!

 How to get to BU from MIT:  Try the CT2 bus or MIT's "Boston Daytime
 Shuttle"
http://web.mit.edu/facilities/transportation/shuttles/daytime_boston.html

Verifiable Set Operations over Outsourced Databases
Speaker: Dimitris Papadopoulos. BU.
Wed, November 6, 10:00am – 11:30am
MCS137 (map)

Abstract:
In this work, we study the problem of verifiable delegation of computation
over outsourced data, whereby a powerful worker maintains a large data
structure for a weak client in a verifiable way. Compared to the
well-studied problem of verifiable computation, this setting imposes
additional difficulties since the verifier needs to verify consistency of
updates succinctly and without maintaining large state. In particular,
existing general solutions are far from practical in this setting.

We present a scheme for verifiable evaluation of hierarchical set
operations (unions, intersections and set-differences) applied to a
collection of dynamically changing sets of elements from a given
domain. That is, we consider two types of queries issued by the
client: updates (insertions and deletions) and data queries, which
consist of "circuits" of unions, intersections, and set-differences
on the current collection of sets. This type of queries comes up in
database queries, keyword search and numerous other applications, and
indeed our scheme can be effectively used in such scenarios.

The computational cost incurred is proportional only to the size of the
final outcome set and to the size of the query, and is independent of the
cardinalities of the involved sets. The cost of updates is optimal ($O(1)$
modular operations per
update). Our construction extends that of [Papamanthou et al., Crypto 2011]
and relies on a modified version of the extractable collision-resistant
hash function (ECRH) construction, introduced in [Bitansky et al., ITCS
2012] that can be used to succinctly hash univariate polynomials.

This is joint work with Ran Canetti, Omer Paneth and Nikos Triandopoulos.

****

CS Colloquium: Exploring the Technical and Economic Factors Underlying
Internet Spam
Geoff Voelker, UCSD.
Mon, November 11, 11pm – Tue, November 12, 12am
MCS148

 The large-scale compromise of Internet hosts and services form a
 platform for supporting a range of criminal activity in the so-called
 Internet underground economy.  In this talk I will start by quickly
 surveying work that our group has performed over the past decade on
 the problems posed by these threats, and how our research directions
 have evolved over time in response to them.  In the remainder of the
 talk, I will go into detail on recent work that our group has
 performed in an end-to-end analysis of the spam value chain.  Using
 extensive measurements over months of diverse spam data, broad
 crawling of naming and hosting infrastructures, and product purchases
 from a wide variety of spam-advertised sites, I'll characterize the
 modern spam ecosystem including system infrastructure, business
 models, cost accounting, and consumer demand.  I'll end by
 characterizing the relative prospects for anti-spam interventions at
 multiple levels, initial results of interventions in the payment tier,
 and where our group is headed going forward.

 This work is part of a long-standing collaborative effort between
 UCSD and ICSI.

   http://www.evidencebasedsecurity.org
   http://www.sysnet.ucsd.edu/botnets
   http://www.ccied.org

 Geoffrey M. Voelker is a professor at the University of California at
 San Diego.  His research interests include operating systems,
 distributed systems, and computer networks.  He received a B.S. degree
 in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from the University of
 California at Berkeley in 1992, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in
 Computer Science and Engineering from the University of Washington in
 1995 and 2000, respectively.

******
Title: TBA
Sanjam Garg. IBM.
Wed, November 13, 10:00am – 11:30am
MCS137

Talk on Differential Privacy for a General Audience
Adam Smith. Penn State.
Wed, November 13, 3pm – 4pm
Harriri. MCS180 111 Cummington St, Boston (map)

(Privacy Year Event)

***

Charles River Privacy Day
Friday, November 15, 2013

The Charles River Privacy Day will take place on Friday November 15, at the
Hariri Institute, Boston University. There will be 4-5 talks covering
different aspects of the challenge of protecting privacy of personal
information in public databases. Confirmed speakers include:

Jon Ullman,
Aaron Roth,
Katrina Ligett,
Yanniv Ehlrich.

Full program and other details to follow in the coming weeks.