[Busec] BUsec this week: Eric Miles (Monday 10AM)

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Sun Mar 24 23:51:30 EDT 2013

Hi all,

At seminar tomorrow we have a talk by Eric Miles from NEU.  Lunch will
be provided as usual.   At seminar next week, we will have our own
Omer Paneth.

How to get to BU from MIT:  Try the CT2 bus or MIT's "Boston Daytime
Shuttle" http://web.mit.edu/facilities/transportation/shuttles/daytime_boston.html

*****

Title: Shielding circuits with groups
Speaker: Eric Miles, NEU.
March 25, 2012. 10AM.  MCS137.

 Abstract:
Traditionally, cryptography models an adversary as having only
input/output access to a given algorithm. A recent line of work known
as leakage-resistant cryptography additionally gives the adversary the
output of a computationally limited leakage function applied to the
algorithm's internal state (e.g. to the wires of a circuit
implementing the algorithm).  A general goal in this area is to
compile any circuit into a new "shielded" circuit that remains secure
under these attacks.

 In this work we give a new such compiler, producing shielded circuits
that withstand leakage from virtually any class of functions against
which average-case lower bounds are known, recovering and extending
previous results.  Specifically, our circuits derive their security
from the hardness of computing iterated products over the alternating
group A_5.  We also conjecture that our circuits withstand NC^1
leakage if NC^1 is not equal to L. We build on previous constructions
by Ishai et al. [Crypto ’03] and Faust et al. [Eurocrypt ’10], and
also use and extend the relationship between group theory and
computation first established by Barrington [STOC '86]. In particular
we exploit properties of the alternating group beyond what is
sufficient for Barrington's theorem.

This is joint work with Emanuele Viola.