[Busec] Fwd: [Econcs-general] [Privacy-list] TIP-TIG: Mon 3/25 You for Sale: The Business of Consumer Data

Sharon Goldberg goldbe at cs.bu.edu
Thu Mar 21 16:55:56 EDT 2013

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Parkes <parkes at eecs.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Subject: [Econcs-general] [Privacy-list] TIP-TIG: Mon 3/25 You for
Sale: The Business of Consumer Data
To: econcs-general at eecs.harvard.edu

Technology in Government (TIG)   and Topics in Privacy (TIP)

3/25/2013 refreshments served at 2:30a, discussion 3 to 4pm in room
K354,  at 1737 Cambridge
Street, Cambridge, MA 02138.

Title: You for Sale: The Business of Consumer Data

Discussants:  Natasha Singer, The New York Times

Executives in technology, retail, marketing and other industries like
to say that data is "the
new oil" or, at least, the fuel that powers the Internet economy. It
is a metaphor that casts
consumers as natural resources with no say over the valuable
commodities that companies extract
from them. Yet this data extraction is often opaque to consumers and
largely unregulated. To
give readers some insight into the data economy, The New York Times'
last year published an
investigative series, called "You for Sale," in which we examined
different industries that
collect, analyze, use and sell information about consumers. The series
help prompt separate
investigations by the United States House of Representatives, U.S.
Senate, Government
Accountability Office, and the Federal Trade Commission. This year,
the series won an award for
personal finance reporting from the Society of American Business
Editors and Writers.

Discussant: Natasha Singer is a reporter in the Sunday Business
section of The New York Times
where she covers the business of consumer data. She was previously a
reporter in the Business
section covering the pharmaceutical industry and professional medical
ethics. In 2010, she was a
member of a team of New York Times reporters whose series on cancer
was a finalist for a
Pulitzer Prize in explanatory reporting.
@natashanyt

Related stories by Natasha Singer:

This is a column in which I tried to trace how my own off-line data
got swapped and sold.
www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/business/on-the-data-sharing-trail-try-following-the-breadcrumbs.htm

This is a follow-up story about the difficulty I had getting a look at
my Acxiom record:
www.nytimes.com/2012/07/22/business/acxiom-consumer-data-often-unavailable-to-consumers.html

These are follow-up stories on the Congressional investigations that
ensued from those stories:
www.nytimes.com/2012/07/25/technology/congress-opens-inquiry-into-data-brokers.html
www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/technology/senator-opens-investigation-of-data-brokers.html

This is the second article in the "You for Sale" series about
companies that covertly score
online consumers:
www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/business/electronic-scores-rank-consumers-by-potential-value.html

This is the third article in the "You for Sale" series about companies
that sell access to
online consumers
www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/technology/your-online-attention-bought-in-an-instant-by-advertisers
.html

This is a column about opposition to the possibility of a Do Not Track
option for consumers:
hwww.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/technology/do-not-track-movement-is-drawing-advertisers-fire.html

This is a news story on the FTC investigation of data brokers:
www.nytimes.com/2012/12/19/technology/ftc-opens-an-inquiry-into-data-brokers.html

This is about the different approaches to privacy in U.S. and Europe:
www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/technology/consumer-data-protection-laws-an-ocean-apart.html

And this is a Q and A with Viviane Redding, the vice president of the
E.C., on the different
approaches to privacy protection
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/business/q-and-a-with-viviane-reding.html

More information is available at
<http://dataprivacylab.org/TIP/schedule.html>. TIP-TIG is a
weekly session for brainstorming and discussing any aspect of privacy
(TIP) or on technology in
government (TIG), hosted by the Data Privacy Lab <http://dataprivacylab.org>.